AsiaJapanKyoto

Kyoto in the evening.

Kyoto Travel Blog

Kyoto

It was 6 pm by the time I arrived at Kyoto station, and it took me moret 30 minutes before I found K’s House Kyoto, the hostel I will be staying in for the next 4 nights.  It’s about a 10 to 15 minutes walk northeast of Kyoto station.  Now this hostel is huge, and it looked so new.  It has six floors, apparently this was the new building that was built next to the old K’s House Kyoto.  The staff were very friendly, and I went up to the fifth floor where my room was, a six bed mixed dorm with bunk beds.  Underneath the bunk beds were 2 locker spaces, 1 for each person using the bed, and I thought that was really smart, I was able to place my luggage, and backpack with plenty of room to spare.
  The room was very clean as a result with minimal clutter because of their huge locker space.  I really loved that idea.  I met my roommates later on in the night, one was from Australia, but was currently living in London for work, another was from Spain who just finished his college studies in America and was taking time off before he started work.  Another person was from Thailand, I’m not sure what he did, he stayed out pretty late on the nights I stayed, and the other two were from Taiwan.  We were all practically solo travelers, I’m not sure if K’s house did that on purpose, putting all the loners in the same room.  But those were some of the friendliest and nicest roommates I’ve had so far in this trip.  We all shared what we saw every night, and recommended places to visit, and what was the best way to get there, as well as travel tips.
Kyoto Tower

Anyways moving on, I went out later on my very first night in Kyoto, and headed for Kyoto station.  That station looked so modern, and the architecture of the steel frame ceilings was such a sight to see, so many people were taking photographs.  As soon as you walk into the station, on the right side are several long flights of stairs as well as escalators extending 11 stories up with shops, and restaurants on those floors.  The 10th and 11th floors are where the restaurants can be found.   The fancy dining restaurants are in the 11th floor, and the fast convenient restaurants are on the 10th floor.   The tourist information center can be found in the 2nd floor, and they open around 9 am each day.  At the very top of Kyoto station is a garden where I saw many couples spending time together, apparently that was a place where dating couples go.
Kyoto station's architecture.
  I hung out there for 5-10 minutes before I started feeling lonely and alone because I don’t have a girlfriend to take up there and spend some time with.  So I decided to leave before I got too depressed.  Yes déjà vu again.   I ate at one of the 11th floor restaurant, and had myself a chicken katsu, rice, and some cabbage.  It didn’t taste that great, but the condiments provided in the table really added a lot of flavor to the food.  I went back to my hostel to get some rest afterwards.
Kyoto stations architecture.
Kyoto station's architecture.
Garden at the very top of Kyoto st…
Garden at the very top of Kyoto s…
11th floor restaurant area.
Another nice view of the station.
Another nice view of the station.
Kyoto Hotels & Accommodations review
Backpacker's Hostel K's House Kyoto
For the next 4 nights I decided to stay in Backpacker's Hostel K's House in Kyoto, Japan. This hostel is located about a 10 minutes walk northeast of… read entire review
Kyoto