24 hours of hiking, riding trains, clubbing, and eating sushi.

Tokyo Travel Blog

 › entry 15 of 17 › view all entries
At Hiroshima station.
Back to Tokyo  

After I had my lunch, I walked the streets again and bought some local pastries to take home with me, and headed back to the ryokan to pick up my luggage, and the long walk towards the ferry station.  Sadly the ryokan didn’t have any drop off service to the station during this time, so I had to wheel my luggage through stone pavement, cement, and sand for the next 20 to 25 minutes.  I arrived at the station around 2 pm, exhausted and sweaty, sat down while I waited for the ferry.  I boarded the train from Miyajimaguchi station for Hiroshima, and took the Hikari railstar shinkansen for Shin-Osaka station, which took about 2 hours, and from there made the switch to another shinkansen bound for Tokyo station.
Shinkansen arriving.

I took the local JR line for Asakusabashi station where I will be spending the next 2 nights in Backpackers Hostel Ks House Tokyo.  The receptionist at the hostel told me I was the last guest to check in around 9 pm, apparently reception closes at 10 pm.  I barely made it.  This K’s house hostel is smaller than the one I stayed in Kyoto, but the interiors looked almost similar.  My dorm room was located in the first floor, it was an 8-bed mixed dorm, and I took the top bunk bed that was the only one available.  I was expecting a bottom bed locker storage in the room like they had in Kyoto, but the room didn’t have a place to even store the luggage, so I laid it on the floor.

Going out late to a nightclub

Slowly my other roommates started to arrive.  One of them was from New Zealand, and he was excited to go clubbing tonight in Shibuya with the other hostel travelers; he was asking for advice on what to wear.  I put on my pajamas, and left the room to hang out in the lobby area, came back about 1 hour later to my room and nearly all of my roommates were there.  They asked me if I wanted to come wth them to go clubbing.  I’ve never been to a club before in my life, I just couldn’t pass it up, so I said okay.  I’m guessing 10 of us from the hostel left that night, took the train to Shibuya.
  Luckily one of my roommates had a GPS device to locate the nightclub.  We got there around after midnight to 1 am.  The name of the place is called Womb, and is supposed to be one of the top nightclubs in the world.  But when we got there, it didn’t look like it was one of the best.  I read Black Eyed Peas performed there, and also the nightclub scene in the movie Babel was filmed there.   Well we got there during a Thursday weeknight, and the only thing they had opened was the lounge and dance area.  The other 3 section or floors of the club was closed off, apparently they only open it during the weekends.  I would have love to see how much bigger the place is in the weekend.  

I paid my 1500 yen cover fee which came with a free drink from the bar, and ordered the Boston cooler alcoholic drink.
  I started to get into it later on and danced to the beat of the music.  I was a bit disappointed that there weren’t more girls in the club.  I’m thinking the male to female ratio was 9 to 1 that night.  After spending 2 hours breathing in cigarette smoke, not that it bothered me, because it was an experience I’m always going to remember, my first nightclub, one of my roommates asked me if I wanted to leave, more than half of us that came in together left around 230 am and explored Shibuya during the night.  A lot of restaurants were still open, mainly ramen restaurants, and I was surprise to see a lot of people still eating around this time.  The trains weren't running this late at night, so after some discussion we decided to split the taxi fare.  3 of us wanted to check out Tsukiji fish market.
Wearning the neon green vests for safety.
  The other 3 went back to the hostel.  After asking cab drivers how much it would cost to get to Tsukiji just to make sure we don’t get ripped off, we settled on one for 3000 yen, which we split later on after we arrived.  

Tsukiji Fish Market  

We had a hard time finding the tourist information area for Tsukiji market.  One of my roommates said we have to be there early, and there are a limited number of spots available for tourists.  So it was first come first serve bases.  After 30 minutes of trying to figure out where the place was, we finally found it.  We walked inside the building, and they provided us with a bright neon-green vest to wear for safety precautions when we go in, and some handouts on instructions, etiquettes, and behaviors while inside the fish market.
  I was really surprised that so many people were already here at 4 am in the morning waiting to have a chance to see the world famous Tsukiji tuna auction.  I didn’t bring my camera with me because I didn’t want to carry it around in the nightclub.  Luckily I had my smartphone with me which takes decent pictures and videos.  I’ve been awake for nearly 24 hours now; I didn’t have any sleep since waking up in Miyajima.  We sat down on the floor.  One of my roommates, Peter is my Australia, the other was from Hawaii, her name was Barb, she had a 20 hour something layover in Tokyo before going to South Korea to visit her parents.  I sat on the floor and closed my eyes for a little bit before they guided us to the auction house.  Tsukiji market is big, but also very dangerous with those minicarts zooming passed me, so be very careful and mindful of your surroundings.
  These people are working, and I tried my best not to interfere.   

The tuna auction doesn’t start until 5 am, and the first group visitors can see the first 45 minutes of it.  I didn’t really understand what was going on, but I saw a lot of buyers sampling the quality of the fish, and later on was when the auction started, I could tell because they started yelling words in Japanese.  We left the auction house to try to find a place to eat sushi in the fish market.  Sadly Barb had to leave us because she had to catch her flight, so Peter and I walked around a bit scouting where we should eat.  I was willing to spend as much as I can on sushi, I had no reservations on the price. 

Sushi advice from a pharmacy employee

We walked in front of this pharmacy in the fish market, and the employee that worked there gave us some pretty good advice which I want to share.
  He told us if we wanted the best sushi restaurant, all we had to do was:
1). Find where the locals are eating or the workers are eating.  They are usually wearing black rubber boots, or the sushi owners and chefs will be wearing black rubber boots.  So find where the black rubber boot wearing people are hanging out and that’s where we can find the best sushi. 
2). The best time to eat is anytime after 630 am.  By that time the tuna auction is over, and the restaurant should have the freshest fish available.  We took his advice and ate at one of the sushi restaurants near the pharmacy.

We went inside this small sushi restaurant, and it was packed, we got a seat at the counter, there weren’t any tables at this restaurant.
Best sushi I've ever had.
  And we got to watch the masters make Sushi in front of us.  Me and Peter ordered the same thing,  the most expensive menu in the house for 3600 yen. It came with hot green tea and soup.  And it was the best sushi I’ve ever had in my life.  It was so fresh, delicious.  It wasn’t like any sushi I’ve had in Japanese restaurants in the U.S.  The quality was much superior.  Looking back at this night, I was glad I came to the nightclub with the other hostellers, because if I hadn’t, I would have missed out on Tsukiji fish market.  I was ready to order their sushi dish in a bowl for second helping, but I was so full.  The only gripe I had about the way they prepared the sushi was that they put wasabi in it, so I could feel the wasabi spice up my nose and brain when I took the bites.
  I prefer it if the wasabi is separate from the sushi, but it wasn’t a killer, no big deal, and it was still delicious. 
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
At Hiroshima station.
At Hiroshima station.
Shinkansen arriving.
Shinkansen arriving.
Wearning the neon green vests for …
Wearning the neon green vests for…
Best sushi Ive ever had.
Best sushi I've ever had.
Sushi chef.
Sushi chef.
Tokyo Hostels review
2 nights @ Backpackers Hostel Ks House Tokyo
For my very last 2 nights in Tokyo, I decided to book with Backpackers Hostel K's House located in Asakusa Tokyo. This hostel is close to the subway … read entire review
photo by: maka77