NELSON'S DOCKYARD,a unique monument!

English Harbour Travel Blog

 › entry 2 of 4 › view all entries
today only the boat dock pillars remain of the 1797 boat house damaged by the 1843 earthquake and 1871 hurricane
                                       Nelson's Dockyard is one of the finest existing examples of a Georgian naval dockyard in its original form and the main tourist attraction in Antigua.Named after the famous English Admiral Horatio Nelson who served in Antigua as Captain for 3 years from 1784,the construction of the naval yard began in 1725.It was the headquarters of the British Leeward islands fleet during the late eighteenth to mid nineteenth centuries.
                                      The Bristish Navy patrolled the thousand-mile(1600 km) line of Eastern Carribean islands to protect the valuable sugar trade.
copper and lumber store
By being able to repair and refit ships in the West Indies instead of going to its northern colonies,Britain was able to keep a squadron of ships continually in the Carribean.With the decline of the sugar trade, the switch from sail to steam,an earthquake in 1843 and a hurricane in 1871,the Dockyard was officially closed in 1889 after .A major restauration project began in 1951 and is still ongoing today.
                                      Nelson's Dockyard is today part of a National Park including a naval museum,nature trail to Fort Berkeley guarding the dockyard entrance in English Harbour and a magnificent yatch marina housing the Antigua Sailing Week.
Fort Berkeley guarding the entrance of Nelson's dockyard


                                     Entrance fee around 5 Usd with a free leaflet in your language.
                                     Opening hours:8am-5pm year round including Sundays and holidays.

                                    Before entering the Dockyard are many shops selling the perpetual souvenirs and T shirts but also a convenient post office that we used to stamp and send our free St Vincent postcards available in all the Vincentian tourism information offices!

                                    www.
English Harbour
antiguamuseums.org
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
today only the boat dock pillars r…
today only the boat dock pillars …
copper and lumber store
copper and lumber store
Fort Berkeley guarding the entranc…
Fort Berkeley guarding the entran…
English Harbour
English Harbour
Entrance of the National Park
Entrance of the National Park
boat house pillars
boat house pillars
this building was planned in 1785 …
this building was planned in 1785…
sawpit dating back to 1769 is the …
sawpit dating back to 1769 is the…
the Museum in a Victorian building
the Museum in a Victorian building
Officers quarters:completed in 182…
Officers quarters:completed in 18…
copper and lumber store
copper and lumber store
paymasters office
paymaster's office
gun slits on the lower level which…
gun slits on the lower level whic…
capstans were used to haul a ship …
capstans were used to haul a ship…
anchor that marks the place of a d…
anchor that marks the place of a …
the dockyard is still living
the dockyard is still living
in a bar
in a bar
English Harbour
photo by: bernard69