Rural Luxembourg

Hosingen Travel Blog

12th century church in Hosingen

We set across the Luxembourg countryside in search of Belgium and the way home. The low rolling meadows of the greenest grass and the patches of trees look to be more of a painted scene than the view out my window.

We passed a barn, under construction, with geometric patterns formed from the planks.

There were fields of tall yellow flowers, as far as the eye could see.

A World War II bunker, by the side of the road, was an unexpected surprise but, shouldn’t have been given the area. We were near Wahlhausen.

In the town of Hosingen, in the Our Valley, we had to stop. There is a church/abbey from the 12th century. There are views around of the Eifel Hills. We walked around the church and enjoyed it’s Medieval details.

Happy Cows
There is a crest of a bird on a knight’s helment from 1670.

In the next town of Heinerscheid, a Medieval tower has been restored to it’s former glory.

Town after town, sporting their different religious past glory.

Our final view of Luxembourg was a church with red barn nearby and happy cows resting in a green field in front. Goodbye, Luxembourg. You are quite a beauty.

We crossed areas of Belgium that were new to me, and I have seen most of the country. The border marked “Pays Bas”, which as I have learned means Low Countries or Netherlands in French. I had never heard of that before.

The tiny country of Luxembourg is filled with quiet, peaceful beauty. It is a land, once great and important, now is a little lost in and amongst it’s larger countries that surround it, however, it deserves a look, you will enjoy and remember Luxembourg.

Pays Bas