Getting Acclimated

Cusco Travel Blog

All four of us were completely exhausted last night, so we slept until late morning.  The combination of catching flights, long layovers, and the massive altitude change really caught up with us.  We would be leaving on the Inca Trail starting tomorrow, so today was still a day of general relaxation, though seeing some of Cusco was definitely on the agenda.

We walked over toward the Cathederal of Santo Domingo, which is also the site of the Incan temple, Qoricancha.  It was a very interesting blend of Incan and Spanish influences.  I was more intrigued by the Incan portions of it.  After taking a tour we walked around as my brother was interested in finding a nice doll for his 2-year old daughter.  So we all ended up doing some shopping.  I bought a small backpack that would prove very useful on the Inca Trail, allowing me to leave a larger bag behind.  It turned out to be a very good deal and I was very happy with it.

After lunch we sat around the Plaza de Armas for a considerable amount of time relaxing and people-watching.  A few more stops in places to find some gear for the Inca Trail and it was dinner time.  We then returned to our rooms, organized our belongings, and packed up for an early morning departure for kilometer 82, the starting point of the Inca Trail.

Cusco