Arrival, Jet Lag, and Adjustment

Stockholm Travel Blog

I arrived on June 11 to a cold and rainy Stockholm.  Oloph picked me up and took me to the farm where he works, Hasta Gard (pronounced hesta gord).  Oloph works at Hasta Gard during the day and lives in the trendy Sodermalm district of Stockholm.  The most poorly dressed person here would be a fashion icon in Austin.  Oloph has been a great host so far.  We saw a few sites around town.  Most fun of all was hanging out with friends, eating unique Scandinavian cuisine (like caviar that comes in a toothpaste tube!).

Jet lag was bad.  Seriously bad.  I thought I was immune, having never suffered it's ills before, but I was so wrong.  For four days I felt like I was doped up on benadryl, my intestines were cramped and noisy, and my mood was down to say the least.  Needless to say my sleep cycles were completely jacked.  I was able to sleep some of the night, but felt like I could have slept another 12 hours once the morning came.  Anytime I wasn't active I began to doze off.  Of course these first few days were when I met several of Oloph's friends.  It was quite a challenge to feign being present for conversations.

It's day five and, fittingly, the sun has come out in full.  My jet lag seems to be subsiding, and I am ready to get out and explore.