I Took The Gorgeous Sky As A Good Omen

Bali Travel Blog

The sun was beautifully setting behind us as our plane headed east. I could hardly describe what I was feeling. It was a mixture of awe and quite apprehension as one fact slowly dawned on me: we'll be landing in Bali in a matter of minutes! My first, and hopefully not my last, time at Indonesia's most famous tourist destination.

Yep, before this family trip I've never been to Bali before.

Our plane touched down at Ngurah Rai International Airport at 18:15 Indonesian Western Time. Oh, wait. We're in a different timezone now. So, hmm.. After setting my watch an hour ahead, according to Central Indonesian Time (WITA) it was now 19:15.

I had just spent the two-hour flight taking pictures of the sky from my seat beside the emergency exit window, enjoying the bird's eye view of the islands as the sky before me changed colour through sunset.

The drive from the airport to our hotel, Santai Hotel at Jl Danau Tamblingan, Sanur, took around half an hour. I tried to enjoy the night view, but there wasn't much to be seen at night. The only thing I ended up enjoying was the light traffic our taxi driver sped through recklessly.

Santai Hotel turned out to be pretty ok. Me and my sister's room, which was located on the second floor, was called the Lion Room. Probably after the lionfish, as some of the other rooms were called Manta, Angel, Knothead (what on earth's a knothead?!). The room's pretty nice, with a spacy bathroom, twin beds (with 3 pillows each and a thin sheet as a blanket), a ladder that functions as a clotheshanger, and NO TV. Thank goodness for the abscence of TV.

So here I am, on vacation in Bali without a TV, no mobile phone (I lost it at Depok the previous week) and difficult internet access. This type of isolation from stuff going on back in my homewtown would've been perfect if only the food here was good. But omg, nooo!! The restaurants around Sanur were waaay to expensive for our humble middle-class Indonesian family so for our first dinner in Bali we ate bloody popmie. Hehh! I guess for the rest of our stay here we have to find some other place to eat.