Return and reflexions

Vagar Travel Blog

Vagar is a pleasant little airport, where you take off between mountains. Copenhagen airport is certainly not little and I don't find it nice overall. The good facilities for shopping were OK I suppose - if you fancy spending a lot - but one down escalator with a human blockage at the bottom was simply dangerous. I expect I shall go again because its the SAS hub - but I find no pleasure in the idea. Our next plane was late and we were well tired by the time we reached Manchester, UK.

I promised some comments on tunnels and they are desperately important to the islands. It's only the undersea tunnels that carry a charge - in one direction only. Payment may be made at any petrol station on the islands for up to three days after the journey. The tunnel from Eysturoy to Borðoy is very smart with great lighting effects. Some underground tunnels are very like our own; others are far more primitive with traffic in one direction having priority on a single track road. That going the other way has to dart between passing places marked with big Ms whenever the chance arises. On Kalsoy htere are three tunnels and without them there would only be the ferry landing place. As it is there are two other towns. My entry on Gasadalur also shows the huge importance of their tunnel.

So what are my final thoughts on the Færoes:
Like nowhere else I have ever been.
FOR:  Outstanding beauty
          Amazing birdlife
          Ineresting museums, art and history

AGAINST:   Expensive
                  They kill whales and enjoy it.

381 km (237 miles) traveled