Fabulous sea stacks and a mountain road

Eiði Travel Blog

Eiði village
'Fabulous' can be understood in its literal sense here as well as its more usual one. The stacks are those already mentioned in the section on Tjornuvik and they are certainly the stuff of legend. Meet Risin and Kilingin, once a witch and a giant respectively who lived on Iceland. The giants of Iceland were jealous of the Færoes scenery and sent this pair to bring back the Færoes - (a bit greedy I think - I understand they are not short of scenery!) Anyway Risin tied a rope round the highest mountain (you can still see the marks so it must be true!) Kiligin tugged but the rope snapped. After they had made a pig's ear of their task through this stunning inefficiency, they were careless enough to be caught out by the Dawn - so of course they were turned into sea stacks.

These stacks are off the north-west tip of Eysturoy, almost directly below the village of Ei ði. We did not spend much time in this facinating village as the weather was doing what weather does in the Færoes and we wanted to see the mountain road to Gjogv before mist set in. We almost succeded and would have but for a stop to look at the witch and the giant through a telescope (FREE!) It's a wonderful road. Gjogv may be unpronouncable but I think I probably liked it best of all the places we visited so it deserves a section of its own.
South from Eiði