KL- an Orgy of Streetfood!

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

A feast fit for... a street king!

So, as I mentioned in my previous blog, I was going to be staying with my old friend Flory for the next few days, before flying out to Langkawi. Flory had just finished her exams and rang to tell me she was coming, but was delayed by traffic. I responded by telling her I was in the middle of a tattoo, so hey- it all works out. An hour later she somehow managed to track me down to Vtattoo in Chinatown and enjoyed the sight of me screaming in pain. Not the joyous reunion I was thinking of.

I had no idea what Flory's parents did for a living, (I had pictured a rather plain, boring house like my own) so imagine my surprise when we go up to the 16th floor of a beautiful apartment block. Yeah, the penthouse. One with smooth marble floors, chandeliers, ensuites in each room and a gorgeous view of KL. I've never even stayed in a hotel this luxurious. Ruefully, I thought back to my "budget" of $10 AUD per night for accommodation (dorm rooms all the way) and realized this was the best place I was going to stay for a very long time. They even had two maids!

I'm not used to my own mother picking up after me, let along having someone paid to do it! I quickly learnt not to leave any clothes lying on my mattress/bed- they'd soon disappear by the next morning and have now turned up, days after I've left, freshly washed and folded.

Maids were a concept I took some getting used to. Apparently in Malaysia it's quite common to have a girl from Indonesia or Cambodia working for you, if you could afford it, but I honestly don't know anyone in Australia who has even considered hiring a cleaner! Anyway, my next four days there were wonderful. Her family, especially Flory, was completely obsessed by food- and determined to cram as much as into me as possible in the short time I was here.

They were even determined I would try Durian. Flory warned me that it tasted like moldy cheese;

and she was right.

We started off with fried bananas, sweet tofu with sugar sauce (looks a bit squishy but is worth it!), and a dish of friend noodle soup. I ordered the yellow noodles expecting the white chow-mein looking one's to be like they are in Australia-  hard and fairly tasteless. These were soft and delicious! That day I also tried drinking out of a coconut. It was incredible! Flory's mother said it wouldn't be as nice as a "fresh" one, but compared the the withered brown husks in Australia, this was fresh!

We also had "roundey" burgers, which I would highly reccomend. They made be a heart attack on a bun, but incredible. Egg is spread thinly, then fried and wrapped around the patty. No salad to speak of! Mmm!

I would like to add many of the awesome photos I have of KL's various dishes on offer, but unfortunetly Travelbuddy won't let me! D:

I'll try again later, and write some more about each one.

Sadly, on the 15th, I said my goodbyes to Flory and her wonderful family, and left for the sunny... scratch that, rainy beaches of Langkawi. My next blog has ups and downs- the wonderful Island hopping tour, and the attitude of the local men towards a solo female traveller. I had some close calls, I can tell you.

A feast fit for... a street king!
First time drinking out of a cocon…
First time drinking out of a coco…
Chinese buffet~