The home of a great wine!

Chateauneuf-du-Pape Travel Blog

Chateauneuf-du-Pape is one of my favorite wines so naturally the next pilgrimage was to the village from which it takes its name.  Once there, it took us a while to get our bearings and find a suitable parking place and by the time we did so, it was really past lunchtime.  Fortunately, the folks at La Mule du Pape Brasserie said they could still serve us salads or pizza.  Pizza it was!

After a leisurely lunch we walked up the hill to visit ruins of chateau.  The wind on top was unbelievable and cold as well.  Because of the wind, I left my Tilly hat behind in preference to a baseball cap and even that was in my hand much of the time.  Given the problem I have had with sun since our trip to Italy, this was to have consequences.

On the way back down we tasted wine at two places.  We were not happy with the wine at the first place but did buy more than we should have at Le Moulin des Saints.

Karl & Gisela had promised to provide us, at our villa, with a typical French supper.  Consequently, they returned by way of Avignon to shop for the makings.  We headed directly “home” but stopped at a Carrefour in Isle sur la Sorgue to stock up on some things we needed.  While there, I started feeling unwell and had to retire to the car.  This was the beginning of my two-day punishment for going without my Tilley hat.

Back at the villa we just chilled for a while.

Earl had made arrangements to rent a bike for several days.  It was to be delivered to him but, because we had no street address per sé, it was difficult to give the driver instructions.  Consequently, we made arrangements to meet him at an intersection at the edge of town.  I drove Earl down to the meeting spot.  Unfortunately, there had been a miscommunication about Earl’s cleats so they did not match the pedals on the bike.  The good news was that the driver had an extra set of cleats.  The bad news was that it took forever to change them out.  All worked out in the end, though.

At 8:00, Gisela and Karl arrived with dinner and it was great.  They had gone all out and bought enough cheese, paté, etc. for a small army.  Even though we’d bought a lot of wine at Chateauneuf-du-Pape, they brought even more so, had the rest of the town shown up, we’d have been able to serve them!  Unfortunately, I was feeling worse and had to excuse myself to go to bed at 9:30.

photo by: polvandenwirre