A full day to enjoy Carcassonne

Carcassonne Travel Blog

This was the only day that the boat didn’t move at all.  With no schedule at all I was up at 9 and off to the baker for 4 croissants and a baguette.  We walked once again to the CitĂ© where we spent most of the day.  While we were in the basilica, we were treated to 5 male singers from Russia singing a cappella.  Of course, I bought a CD; I’m a sucker for such things.  We were disappointed by very slow and impolite service for lunch.  Maybe it’s something about tourist towns that creates the condition.  Afterwards we spent some enjoyable time touring the castle and ramparts. It’s interesting that you can walk on the walls here; in the US the lawyers would go crazy!  Of course, others would make a fortune in representing the idiots who chose to fall off.

We’d seen some nifty ceramic house numbers as we entered the walled city and we need some for the cottage since we just got an honest-to-goodness â€śstreet” address after owning the place for almost 40 years.

Thursday market on Carcassonne
  Unfortunately, we didn’t know the number so I called my Dad to have him check.  He still had not responded so we had some ice cream to kill some more time.  When I finished eating, the others remained seated while I walked on the remaining ramparts, snapping pictures right and left.  Dad’s response came just as we were about to leave and we were able to get the numbers.  The bad news is that when we got home, we could not find them in the luggage.  Damn!

On the walk back to the boat, we shopped at Monoprix for something for dinner.  Back at the port, Earl and I walked across the bridge to the railroad station to verify our car reservation for Saturday since we’d arranged to get it there.  We were assured that all was in order.  Little did we know...
Carcassonne