The amazing Pont du Gard

Pont du Gard Travel Blog

Our friends, Sue and Hank, had said that the Pont du Gard was definitely worth a look.  Pont du Gard was built by the Romans shortly before the birth of Christ to carry the aqueduct of Nimes over the Gard River.  A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is in beautiful shape and is absolutely magnificent.  We had heard that the rive gauche (left bank) was the better side on which to park the car.  My problem was that the GPS did not make a distinction.  However, a little playing with us got us headed in the right direction and we were soon in the parking lot.  It being late in the day the lot was nearly empty and there were relatively few people around.  The walk to the bridge was not too far though it was still very hot so we took it easy.  The girls chilled out on the bridge while Earl and I walked beyond it and followed some paths down to the river to get some great pictures.  I’d read that the best way to see this beautiful structure is by lying on one’s back in the river below it.  We didn’t have bathing suits but that really would have been great  There were lots of kids jumping from into the river and they were obviously having a blast.  This is a place that would have been worth more time if we’d had it.  Having said that, I’m glad we missed the crowds.

Pont du Gard