The Palais des Papes

Avignon Travel Blog

After breakfast we lounged a lot, I took a little swim, and it was noon by the time we were on the road to Avignon.  We first swung by the gare TGV to psych out where to drop the car on Saturday, then headed for the Palais des Papes.  Having parked at Les Halles and exited the lot, we were totally confused about exactly where we were. I asked a young lady for directions and she insisted on walking with us most of the way to the Palais des Papes! I continued to protest that she was too kind but she insisted. This was not a shakedown, either.

We bought a ticket for both the palace and the “Pont d’Avignon” of nursery rhyme fame and entered the palace.  The Palais is, of course, magnificent and helpful audio guides are part of the price.  On the watchtower it was quite sunny and hot.  I was a little concerned about my sensitivity to heat so we sat for a while just as we exited.  This old age has its downside!

Lunch was in a terrace restaurant on the place in front of the palace.  All 4 of us had salads, 2 Caesar and 2 Niçoise.  Both were large and good.  After lunch we started for the bridge but, given the heat & time, we bagged it and headed for the car.

ladyluck13and7 says:
The Nicoise salad mention made me hungry!
Posted on: Jul 27, 2010