Our fantastic villa in Joucas

Joucas Travel Blog

The trip to Joucas was via Autoroute and consequently not terribly remarkable.  We somehow ended up going directly through Avignon rather than around it so we dealt with more traffic that would have been ideal.  In any case, even that was not bad. Of course, it’s easy for me to say as Earl did all the driving!

The villa that we rented did not have a street address so the GPS could not get us to the door.  We had written directions provided by the rental agency but they were a bit confusing.  We did at last get to what we thought was the right neighborhood but no one could direct me to the house.

From our bedroom window
  I tried without success to call the two phone numbers we’d been given. About the time we started to get concerned, a man came out of a house and asked if we were looking for him.  It turns out h was told to expect us at 5 and we were told to be there between 4 and 6.  Given that it was now about 4:20, were lucky he was there at all.  It turned out that the confusion stemmed from the fact that the villa was sold after we booked it.  Our booking had been transferred to the new owners but a new booking agent was involved as well and something got lost in the translation.  Since the phone numbers were for the old owner and agent, it’s fortunate that we had not been delayed in our arrival as I’m unsure how that would have panned out.

The villa was PERFECT!  The new owner had totally remodeled and refurnished it and we were the first people to inhabit it.

Our Villa
  The appliances were all brand new and the cookware still had labels on it.  The agent and property manager were there to greet us and they were wonderful.  We had made the reservations with RentVillas but the company who is brokering now is Coquelicot.  Here’s a link to the listing for our place.  I’ll write a review with more details.

I’d assumed that we’d be dining out most of the time but the girls liked the kitchen and dining areas so much they said it would be a shame not to make use of them.  Off we marched to find groceries.  Joucas, built on the side of a hill, is TINY. It has essentially one street and that is so narrow at one point, you have to be careful not to hit the buildings on either side with your mirrors.

Our Villa
  If you’re walking along and a car approaches, you need to step into an alley or doorway to let it pass.  There are other lanes but they are for pedestrians only and many are steps rather than sidewalks.  There is a sculptor in town and his rather avant-garde are all over town.  Within the town itself, there is a single, small épicerie with a terrace café across the road, a small hotel with a restaurant, a library, and that’s about it.  All of this combines to make Joucas, in my opinion, absolutely perfect.

Having stocked up on groceries including a lot of very affordable goat cheese (my favorite), we returned to our new home for some snacks and, a bit later, dinner.  While the sky was pretty clear, the mistral was making an appearance and it was COLD so we had our taggliatelli in the dining room.

Our friends from Düsseldorf, Karl and Gisela, had originally invited us to Karl’s birthday party in September.  Sadly, our schedule precluded that trip so they were planning to drive down from Düsseldorf in the morning to spend some time with us.   I tried to call him touch base but, unfortunately, I had no cell coverage, probably because we were right up against the hill.

Our Bedroom
Our Bedroom
Pool from out window
Pool from out window
Joucas Hotels & Accommodations review
Superb villa in Provence
As many of you know, a “villa” is not necessarily the sprawling mansion that the name conjures up. It can be anything from that to a small apartme… read entire review
Joucas