Onward to the Canal du Midi

Salleles-d'Aude Travel Blog

Soon thereafter we entered the river Aude, which we had to traverse for a short distance before entering the Canal du Jonction.  This was a bit scary as there were sand bars and rapids to our right.  As we’d been instructed by Jean-Paul, we stayed well to the left and swung around into the Canal du Jonction.  There was a lock almost immediately and it was lunchtime so we tied up for what I thought would be a lunch break since locks don’t normally operate between 12:30 and 1:30.  Earl and I walked to check out the lock and Ryan said that, as it is automatic, we could pass.  At this point the locks were to come one after another (7 in about 5 km.) so I took a bike and headed for the next one.  My intention was to do all 7 without re-boarding the boat.  It was hot, though, so when we got to the lock at Sallèles-d'Aude, I loaded the bike back on and we tied up in town while the girls baked some quiche for lunch.

River Aude
  The Brits and Aussies tied up as well.

We got out well ahead of our British and Aussie friends but came up on another boat at the next lock. This group was German; a man, 3 women and a baby.  The boat was from Nichols and was pulling what amounted to a trailer with a small pool!  The youngest woman and the baby were playing in it; pretty nifty.   There were two boats waiting to enter but the Germans hit the button with just the two of us in the lock. Oh, well...

There were three more locks to the Midi junction and we followed the same routine with each.  As we were in each one, a young man and young woman arrived, he jogging and she riding a bike.  They were the “ground crew” from two separate boats following us and, as I had planned to do, were going from lock to lock on the ground rather than re-boarding each time.  Nice kids.
Salleles-d'Aude