The Ochre Cliffs of Roussillon

Roussillon Travel Blog

I had a restless night but then slept until 9:30. I am almost always the first up in the morning but this time I was dead last.  Earl had gone out for bike ride.  All in all, it was close to 11 by the time we got away from the villa.  Today’s destination was Roussillon, famous for the ochre, on which their economy was once based.  On the way, however, we passes a field of lavender, the first we had seen in bloom.  We were a little early in the season and the blooms were not fully developed but the field was magnificent.  Like many others, we stopped and took lots of pictures.  It turned out that, during our entire week in Provence, this was the only field we’d see that we in bloom to any extant at all.

Roussillon is yet another hill town, this one built on the ochre itself.

It is said that, by law, all buildings in the village must be painted in Ochre hues and that certainly appears to be the case.  The effect is quite striking. More amazing is the walk through the ochre itself.  It costs a few euros but is definitely worth it.  Earl and I made that trek while the girls shopped but, because I was still wary of the heat, we didn’t venture as far as I might have liked.  We did go far enough, though, to see some magnificent sights and get some nice pictures.

As we were setting out, we’d walked past a shop with some striking pottery pieces and I made a mental note to look more closely when we returned.  Just as we got back, Lin said she needed to show me something and I knew exactly where she’d take me.  It’s great how our tastes match so precisely.  We bought a little something for ourselves and each of the kids.

A unique sundial in Roussillon