More on the locks

Puicheric Travel Blog

Waiting for the lock at Puichèric

It could be because this canal is more popular than the one we visited 5 years ago, that it was a bit later in the season, that the locks were higher, that some locks had multiple chambers or some combination of factors but there were long waits at several locks.  It took us 90 minutes at the 2 chamber lock at Puichéric.  The interesting thing, especially given my intense type A personality, is that it really didn’t matter.  We’d learned to just tie up, relax, read, and perhaps drink a little wine.

Having said that, I’m not sure I’d want to be here at the height of the summer season.  While waiting, I got talking to a lady who lives nearby.  She asked whether we’d rented the boat for the day.  I explained we had it for a week and she asked whether we slept aboard.  I said that, if she had a friend who could pick her up at the lock at Aiguille, she’d be more than welcome to take a ride with us.  Unfortunately she did not.

The lock at nearby Aiguille is particularly interesting in that all around it are creative and rather bizarre modern art sculptures.  I asked the éclusier who had created them and was told his associate.
Puicheric