Last day in Par(ad)is(e)

Paris Travel Blog

I was up shortly after 8.  We had breakfast about 9 and met in Helen & Earl’s suite at 10:00 for mass.   Of course, there were no hymns and the sermon was short so we were out of the hotel by 10:30 or so. When Lin and I had first visited Paris in 1989, I took a walk in the Luxembourg Gardens one day while she was taking a nap.  I truly love the place so I suggested we head over there since it was close.  It was a beautiful sunny day just as it had been in ’89 and the others shared my attraction to this beautiful spot.

The church of St. Suplice has long been on my list of, “I’d like to see that one of these times” so, as it was only a block or so away, we stopped for a look.  In front of the church was a group of Boy Scouts giving away drinks and sweets in hope of donations for summer camp.  Earl is deeply involved in scouting and my son and grandson were scheduled to go to the National Jamboree in July so naturally we gave our support.

The main attraction of the day was to be my favorite museum, the Musée d’Orsay.  Rather than rush right there, though, we strolled past the church of St. Germain de Pres, then along the Seine.  It was a bit hotter than might have been ideal but the walk was otherwise perfect.  I could do this just about forever.  The line for the museum was predictably long but certainly worth it.  The only negative was that there is no photography permitted but that’s the way it goes.  Of course some people either can’t or choose not to read but you’ll have that.  Finally exhausted, took a cab back to near the hotel and searched for a place for lunch, eventually having some pretty good pizza at Pizza Pino not far from the hotel.

We all returned to the room after lunch but Lin didn’t want to quit so she and I went back out and watched world go by for a long time over some dessert and coke Lite at Le Select.  THIS is, without any doubt, the VERY BEST thing to do in Paris!!  Actually, for Lin and me, this IS Paris!

Back in the room, we got started on packing but then took a nap before meeting Helen and Earl 7:30 for dinner at “Montparnasse 1900”.  This place is very “Belle Epoque”.  The hostess was rather surly, otherwise, service was great.  We all had Chateaubriand and profiteroles. The beef was a bit disappointing but it was still a very nice last dinner in France.   We wisely put off the balance of the packing until the morning.

I was up shortly after 8.

In front of the church was a group of Boy Scouts giving away drinks and sweets in hope of donations for summer camp.  Earl is deeply involved in scouting and my son and grandson were scheduled to go to the National Jamboree in July so naturally we gave our support.  St. Suplice is magnificent and, as luck would have it, a Bach Fugue was being played on their wonderful organ so we sat and enjoyed that to the end.  We’d not had much time to look around, though, before mass started so we beat a hasty retreat.

The main attraction of the day was to be my favorite museum, the Musée d’Orsay.

Rather than rush right there, though, we strolled past the church of St. Germain de Pres, then along the Seine.  It was a bit hotter than might have been ideal but the walk was otherwise perfect.  I could do this just about forever.  The line for the museum was predictably long but certainly worth it.  The only negative was that there is no photography permitted but that’s the way it goes.  Of course some people either can’t or choose not to read but you’ll have that.  Finally exhausted, took a cab back to near the hotel and searched for a place for lunch, eventually having some pretty good pizza at Pizza Pino not far from the hotel.  We all returned to the room after lunch but Lin didn’t want to quit so she and I went back out and watched world go by for a long time over some dessert and coke Lite at Le Select.

Paris