Cold and rainy night in Homps

Homps Travel Blog

By the time we got to the double lock at Pechlauriers it had started to rain and we were pretty much stuck with that for the rest of the day.  I’d read that it was worthwhile tying up near this lock and walking to the bluff for a great view back along our route but, given the lousy weather, we pressed on.

The plan was to stop at the port on Homps where Le Boat has a base but all dock space was filled so we just tied up on the opposite side of the canal. Eventually a number of boats boats left the port so Earl and I walked over the bridge to see if it was OK to tie up.  It was, of course, so I stayed there while Earl returned for the boat.  He certainly didn't need me on the dock, though, as he backed it perfectly into the narrow slip!  If you’ve never tried to back up a powerboat with an inboard engine, you cannot appreciate that feat; the thing does NOT want to go where you want it to!

It was pretty cold so, though we'd had AC on two days ago, we put the heat on in the cabin.  In the pouring rain we crossed the footbridge to look for a restaurant and settled on "Restaurant La Péniche."  Unfortunately, they were booked until 8:30 or 9:00.  Earl really liked the place and we had nothing better to do so we put in a reservation and were told to return at 8:45.  We returned to the boat where I set up the spreadsheet to keep track of expenses.

Our table was, of course, ready upon our return and we were treated royally.  Lin had a steak, Helen scallops and Earl and I a lamb stew.  All were good and the wine and service were perfect. It was after 11 when we went to bed.

Hey, a cold and rainy day on vacation is better than a hot and sunny day at work!

Homps Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Nice restaurent; great people
Homps is a moderately-sized village along the picturesque Canal du Midi. We arrived in town via our rented boat on a cold and rainy afternoon and at … read entire review
photo by: jhwelsch