Ballooning and a great dinner

Isle-sur-la-Sorgue Travel Blog

 › entry 27 of 45 › view all entries

Before leaving the US, we’d made arrangements with “Luberon Montgolfières” for the six of us to take a balloon ride on Monday and, as instructed, I’d called Sunday night to confirm and get instructions for time and place.   When we did that, we were told we were to meet at a place we could actually see from our villa.  Later than night, however, we got a call asking whether Tuesday would work instead.  Our plans being flexible, we had no objection and we were told to call on Monday to again get details.  On Monday night we were told that the weather forecast dictated a change in plans and we were to meet in a park near L’Isle sur la Sorgue.  Certainly not quite as convenient and I was disappointed that we’d not see our villa from the air but, again, no big deal.

 I spent Monday night worried that I’d not feel well enough for the balloon flight but awoke feeling fine.

  We were up at 5:15, met meet Gisela and Karl at 6:00 and were at the appointed place in advance of the requested 6:40.  As is often the case, it was a matter of hurry and wait.  It turns out we were the second flight of the day so suddenly we were bundled into a series of vans and driven to a field where the balloon would offload its first batch and load us.

Lin and I had done this twice before; first in Scottsdale and then in Albuquerque.  The first time the basket held about 7 people. The second was a tiny one holding only Lin, the pilot and me.  This basket was at the other end of the spectrum; 20 passengers plus pilot! The ride took about 35 minutes, then it was back in the vans to Champagne and cookies.

Back at the villa, I was still not at 100% so took a nap for a bit.

 At 1:00 Gisela and Karl arrived for an American breakfast on the terrace.  Normally, I’m the breakfast chef but since I was still feeling lousy, the girls did the honors.  Afterwards, they went back to their hotel while we just chilled. I slept much of the day, either while trying to read on the terrace or in bed.

Because we could not attend his party in September, Karl had made dinner reservations at Le Vivier in L’Isle sur la Sorgue to celebrate his birthday.  As would be expected in a Michelin-rated restaurant, it was great.  Sadly for me, I was still not feeling at all well, and, in fact, had to walk outside for air several times.  All the others said the food was great and, from what little I could eat, I would agree.  The good news was that, since I had drunk so little wine, we had a build-in designated driver!  Gisela and Karl were to leave in the morning so we bid them farewell with many thanks for coming so far to see us.  Fortunately, we’ll see them again soon as they will be spending Christmas in our home.

bernard69 says:
sorry for u,u have to go back to le Vivier with yr driver:)
Posted on: Jul 29, 2010
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: jhwelsch