Back to Gordes

Gordes Travel Blog

As we’d passed to the south of Gordes during the week, I’d seen an interesting barn down in the valley and for some reason I have a “thing” about barns.  In fact, the walls of my cottage are covered with pictures of barns from all over.  Consequently, as we were on our way back to the villa, I asked Earl to drive down a narrow road so I could get some pictures.  Back at the villa, I read while the others slept.  It should be noted again that we’d vowed to make this a relaxing vacation so we could savor the experience rather than rushing around.  As a result, we saw fewer places than do many who visit Provence.  I’ll bet, however, that we enjoyed a lot more the places we did see.  If course, I much prefer a good dinner to an all-you-can-eat buffet!

Helen had read that the Abbey at Senanque, near Gordes, was a beautiful spot set in a valley behind a large field of lavender.  We drove out to have a look.  Unfortunately, the light was already too dim for pictures and, in any case, the lavender was just starting to bloom.  We vowed to return in the morning later in the week.  We stopped in Gordes for a dinner that was nothing extraordinary.

photo by: damynke