Arrival in Carcassonne

Carcassonne Travel Blog

Jean-Pierre tied up again behind us before the lock at Carcassonne and advised that, in order to tie up for the night at the post, I was to check in at the Capitanerie as soon as we passed through the lock.  Things were a bit congested at the quay so Jean-Pierre tied up outside of us and we let him pass ahead of us, leaving us for the next pass. While we waited he gave us a bottle of wine for our help. I did my bit at the lock, then checked in.  We took berth A15 to be as far as we could from the road while still having access to water and power.

After some naps we headed for “la Cité”, the ancient walled city.
  This place, with its extensive walls and 53 watch towers, is absolutely amazing!  We walked around, eventually selecting “La Table Ronde” for dinner. The woman I’d been speaking to at the lock at Trèbes had said that I absolutely had to try the famous cassoulet so, if course, that’s what I did.  It was simple but outstanding.  Unfortunately, we’d completely ignored the threatening skies as we left the boat and consequently left our umbrellas behind.  Of course, it was absolutely pouring rain when we finished so we sat and talked to some Brits at a nearby table, hoping for a let-up. The let-up never came and the staff looked eager to close so we had the waitress call a cab.  I was especially disappointed as I'd really wanted to wander the ramparts at night to take pictures but it wasn't to be.  Of course, the cab couldn’t come into the city so we had to walk out to the main gate and wait for it in the rain. Many Americans, when they learn that I love France, comment that they’ve heard that the French people are rude to Americans.  This is absolutely untrue as a rule and I always protest loudly but I must admit this driver may be the guy they’re talking about; a real jerk.  Oh well, you find a few everywhere.  Once again, bed at 11.
Waiting again