Looking for a hidden spot, we found gorgeous Coolum beach. Great place!

Coolum Travel Blog

new friend

Attracted by the name and the idea of discovering something new, we ended up driving all the way to Coolum. We finally found what it seems to be the center of the town, back to civilization. Actually it wasn't downtown, just the entrance to the town, haha. It was just about a couple of stores, but it was a good spot to park and stretch the legs. I felt as if I was in a small town like in the movies, cool! Since we had breakfast late, we weren't hungry, ok, ok, just a beer, haha.

But weren't we supposed to find a beach here? Ok, let's put the info into the GPS and wait for the lady with the sexy voice to help us. Yay! All is set! Directions were there and we got ready to leave.  Now the landscape was changing as we were getting closer to the coast. Then I had a dejavu! I have already been here! Actually it wasn't a dejavu, I've already been here.

great
How could I forget this gorgeous beach and nice buildings in front of it. I remember I was saying I'd like to live there, pfff. This place wasn't as packed as Noosa. Maybe because it wasn't that sunny when we arrived, but this made things even better. Definitely this was the place we were looking for, a quiet place to chill out and relax. Should we have come here straight the first day? Maybe... but what we experienced in Noosa was fun too, so no regrets! All is part of the adventure.

We stayed at the beach for a couple of hours. It was a bit cool to swim, so we stayed just chilling out and later I decided to take a walk. By this time it was getting a bit sunnier, so the pictures would become nicer, yay! It was at this point - when I was walking taking pictures - when I realized I've been here.

main avenue
And this was confirmed when I saw some appartment buildings and shops, haha.

It was almost 5pm when we met at the car. This time we'd look for accommodation at a decent hour, haha. I had an old LP with me, but it didn't mention hostels and as students we didn't have a large budget. I remembered I saw an Info Kiosk while I was walking, so better go there and ask them for advice. We arrived there just in time. The lady was about leaving and told me she was closing. I told her I just needed to know if there was any hostel and if she'd be so kind to give us that info. The sad puppy look worked perfect and she gave us a brochure with info. Thanks!!!!

We wouldn't need the GPS this time, the lady gave us the directions how to find the hotel, which was not even one block away from the main road.

the most important bag, haha
The budget accommodation wasn't that budget after all, but worked fine and I didn't have any problem with having a private room, hehe. It was located close to the main street with restaurants and close to the beach too. It also had a parking spot available. Sweet! After taking a shower and change clothes, we were ready to leave.

We learned our lesson and would have dinner early, haha. But first we'd stop for some drinks. I liked the bottle shop here. It was a drive thru one, haha. How convenient. The plan was to have dinner and then go to the lookout and have a couple of drinks there before going back to the hotel where we'd chill out. Ok, now what to have for dinner? Fast food? NO WAY! I love my veggies and pasta wasn't that appealing either, but it depends on the rest of the group too.

pit stop
After walking and checking a couple of places we ended up where I deeply inside was wishing we'd have dinner: a Thai place! It was small and seemed to be very popular among the locals. My kind of place. I was in the mood of having some Thai food, wanted to eat something I don't regularly cook at home :P

Once we got closer to the restaurant, the owner who was also helping waitressing approached to us. He was really friendly, a great host. At this point I noticed this place was BYO. That is an Aussie concept: Bring Your Own, which means you are allowed to bring your own alcohol. Sweet! My wine was in the car and we could have it with dinner. Kumar went to the car and I was the one with more expertise regarding this food, hahaha. I chose the appetizers. The only one having problems with spicy food was Kate, but I told her Thai food is spicy but it doesn't meam hot.

having a nice dinner
So, she would give it a try :)

Kumar came back with our wine and the owner brought us some glasses and a bucket with ice to place the wine. Nice service! But he wasn't the only one like this, all the staff was super friendly and kind. They made the difference. I let Kumar ordering the main dishes. We ordered 2 dishes to share. Good choice! It was nice having dinner at the patio, enjoying the warm but not hot night, and sharing a delicious meal. Just what I needed, to be pampered :P

We left the restaurant and went back to the beach. While walking Kumar and Kate found a nice lookout and we'd go there. We parked and started to walk. Then we toasted again to friendship, while enjoying a blackpeach night. The most simple things in life make the difference.

cheers to friendship
I wouldn't have changed spending quality time with new friends for anything. We ended up staying there for almost 2 hours.

Then we drove back to the hotel, stopping first at the alcoholic drive thru, haha. Before leaving Kate found some board games at the hotel and we decided to play Monopoly. I haven't played it in quite a long time and Lalo hasn't ever played it, wow! It was my 1st time playing the Aussie version, hahaha.

It was fun playing with the gang, but it was almost midnight and we all were getting tired. So we all decided to go to bed in order to be fresh for next morning. According to the rules check out time was 9:30am! But we all know we could manage to leave a bit later. G'night!

at the entrance
ahhhhh
families and children
families and children
shells
that was a big footprint or my foo…
that was a big footprint or my fo…
interesting
at night
at night
Coolum Hostels review
Close to the National Park and beaches at Coolum Beach Budget Accommodation
Coolum beach is a very nice spot in Sunshine Coast. However, it's difficult to find budget accommodation, most of the offer is about resorts or big ho… read entire review
Coolum Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Good Thai food and superb service at Hot Chilli Bean
We'd spend one night in Coolum and wanted to have a nice dinner, which doesn't mean it should be expensive. Our strategy was to walk around and stop w… read entire review
Coolum