My 1st Krishna experience...

Burleigh Heads Travel Blog

Surfers

If somebody would have ever said that my 1st real approach to the Krishnas would take place in Oz, I'd have laughed a lot, but actually it was so! Well, it's much easier to be in touch with different cultures here in Australia than back in Peru, I love it! Once I was at uni and a friend asked me if I had plans for Saturday... "no, why?" Well, his friend has been involved with the Krishnas for a few years and he's getting into that. Same as me, he's Latin and loves the new cultures, therefore he thought I'd like to join them to a ceremony. Well thought!

I went to their place around 5:30pm and from there we drove to Burleigh Heads. Hehe, my friend thought I was going to somewhere new but I've already been in Burleigh Heads; however, not for a sunset and it was awesome! I really like this area of Gold Coast.

what a nice place to chill out!
It's so chilled out and laid back... Everyone seems to be happier here, even the dogs look cutter hahaha. Oh well, with such a wonderful view, how couldn't?

It was time to go to the Krishna ceremony. It didn't take place in a Krishna centre, but in a rented one which belongs to the Masons. After a short walk we found it. Nice! After paying a small fee at the entrance, they stamped our arms and we took off our shoes. This was totally new for me but not for one of my friends who's a regular here and knew a lot of people. Actually everyone here was very friendly and made me feel welcome right away.

They were performing some music, playing some instruments including the zither, singing (everyone was singing I wish I could have done so too, but at least I was clapping, maybe next time :P ) and enjoying it.

playing the zither
After a while they kept on with the program which mentioned some reading. A guy was reading - at same time there were some pictures displaying - about Krishna story and I could learn a bit more about them. I don't consider myself an expert, no way, not even with some knowledge but at least I'm less ignorant ;)

Everyone was so relaxed and happy here. The energy was there and you forget about your worries. There were some people wearing the traditional Indian clothes, how nice! Then a girl approached to us with cups. They were giving drinks to everybody. At the beginning I didn't know what it was but after tasting and analysing it, I guess it was a tea with some mint. It was very refreshing. A couple of days later another friend told me usually they bless the water and then share it.

yay!
Nice! Maybe that's why it was to tasteful.

Music kept on going and I noticed some people were going to the next room. What was going on there? Food! My foodie radar was working perfect! Of course I couldn't resist going there. I convinced my friend to go, not a hard work at all haha. Once there we queued for a while and then got our food. They have cooked earlier and were serving food to the attendants. We got a plate and they showed us what they had available. Mmm, for me a bit of everything, but no rice, please. Thanks!

Food was delicious! I really liked it! And we even got dessert. While having our food, we met a couple of sweet sisters and talked with them for a while. Then we noticed most of the people started to walk to the exit. What's next? A fire show! There was like a competition of 2 guys playing with balls and fire.

cool dance
It was cool! Everyone was having a great time. For me they were experts, but my friend told me they were just rehearsing the real thing would come in a couple of weeks when there would be a big tournament. Awesome!

Back into the building we notice things have been arranged. Actually cushions have been moved aside, hehe. Now it was the time for the dances! There was another singer who had a deep and special voice who introduced the dance group and started to sing. The girls were young but danced very well. Great! They didn't perform for a very long time, but each dance looked so tiring that it was completely understandable. This kind of rhythm was completely different from our traditional Peruvian ones, yay experiencing a new culture!!!

Was this the end? No, now it came the funniest part: everybody started to dance.

Kofta balls, curry potato and halva in a cup
At the beginning the 2 outsiders aka Latin remained in a corner, but then an old lady - talking in Hindi and wearing a sari - said we should join the dance. How could we have refused this lady invitation? No, we couldn't so we joined the dance floor, hahaha. It was so much fun. I didn't have any idea what I was doing, but had a blast.

Music stopped but nobody was leaving, we went back into the dining area and there was still food. They don't like to waste food, so they were asking everyone if they'd like to have some more food. Mmm, I could have more dessert... Here is where I had my first experience with the sweet "Halva" and now everytime I see it... HAVE TO have it hehe. My friend saw there were some "Kofta balls" available. What was that? He only said: "There's life before and after Kofta balls.

awwwwwllllllllll
You have to try them." He didn't need to say something like that to make me try a new food, hahaha. Oh yes! He was so right Kofta balls are awesome. I know there are ones with meat, but we had the Veggie ones and I love them!

Oh well, it was time to leave. I had a great time here. When leaving they mentioned they would have something special for "Diwali". What is that? (That would come in another entry) Sounds like something I have to experience too. We walked back to the car and stopped to enjoy the beautiful view at night. And to make things better it was a full moon night. What a great experience!

cool dance
Kofta balls, curry potato and halv…
Kofta balls, curry potato and hal…
cool building @ Broadbeach
the refreshing water
the refreshing water
telling stories
telling stories
food: curry potato, rice, dahl, sw…
food: curry potato, rice, dahl, s…
awesome