The Beginning - Delhi to Jaipur

Jaipur Travel Blog

Hey Everyone! I arrived safe and sound and luckily my plane was not delayed. However, my travel buddy Nicole's flight from Georgia was delayed and she was not able to reschedule for another week.

I arrived at around 1:00 am, and my driver was waiting for me. He took me to a hotel in the Tibetan Colony which is in the nothern part of Delhi. It was a decent hotel, but when I say decent, I mean by India standards and that it could of been a lot worst. There were these yellow wasps that had somehow gotten into my room, but I told them to leave me alone and they did. The buildings in these areas were about two feet apart with narrow passage ways, lots of dogs, and even some dead rats (i guess this was less threatening than alive rats) .

Around 7:00 am, a driver picked me up and drove me to Jaipur which is also known as the pink city because the buildings are all painted pink (well more of a peach color). The drive to Jaipur was a great experience because I was able to see the Indian countryside. I saw women in saris working in the fields and men bathing on the side of the road. There were all sorts of animals, cows, chipmunks, peacocks, horses, monkeys, camels, mules, and even elephants - all navigating through traffic. Unfortunately, along the way I saw a dead woman being hauled a way from some sort of accident. This really stunned me because I have never seen a dead person except for open casket funerals. It made me realized how sheltered I am to this reality...

At first, I thought I was going to be afraid of driving with someone since I am normally afraid to drive with people back home (a fear that stems from my car accident), however, I am convinced that the best drivers in the world can be found in India.

My hotel in Jaipur, Arya Niwas, is quite nice and comfortable with a lovely courtyard adorned with all sorts of flowers. I like to sit out there in the morning while I sip some chai and read. Jaipur itself is a really hectic city with its share of poverty. There are a lot of children on the street, some naked, who will knock on your car window begging for money or food. There is trash all over the place and you will see cows, dogs, and people alike sifting through it in search of food. Sidewalks consists of dirt. I tried to walk out to the street in order to go to the pharmacy to get a SIM card, but was immediately targeted by five or six people trying to sell something. Once I got to the pharmacy I turned right back around. The good thing is that they leave you alone if you do not acknowledge them. It is definitely better to walk with someone or just hire a driver.

On the first day, I went to the elephant festival where elephants are painted and adorned with all sorts of scarves and tapestries. It is quite amazing. My friend from Hawaii, Sandy, took me there with her acquaintance Tamnay who lives in Jaipur. The following day, Tamnay took us to his family's home for Holi. Holi is one of the biggest holidays in India, and it is well-celebrated in Jaipur. On this holiday people throw watercolor paints, both dry and wet, at each other. Tamnay took us to his families home where we participated in the festivities. Sandy and I were dowsed with all sorts of colors! They were particularly eager to get us completely covered with paint. This was because they knew we hadn't prepared ourselves with a special oil which makes it easier to get the paint off. It's funny - my guide says many tourists are "tickled pink" by Jaipur, but today that has a new meaning because I am pink!

This morning I woke up at the ripe hour of 2:00 am because I am still not used to the time. At around 5:30 am, I listened to the cacophony of birds chirping, dogs barking, train whistles blowing, and the Islamic prayers that are played throughout the city from the minarets.

Today I hope to see the Amber Fort today and maybe do a bit of shopping too. I love all of you, and I am okay even though Nicole is not here yet. I will write when I am able. Namaste!
Jaipur Hotels & Accommodations review
Loved this Hotel. Nice clean, rather inexpensive rooms. Good Location. There is a little store, and a cafeteria. Also, it is quite nice to sip on … read entire review
photo by: oxangu2