Selinunte - very special

Selinunte Travel Blog

Acropolis wall, Selinunte
By this time I had given up on a number of my initial aims. To go right round the island, see something of the Eolians, visit Etna and the splendid Roman villa at Piazza Armerina, if possible at all which is doubtful, would have entailed a mad rush such that nowhere could be seen properly. Hence I decided to leave the west to a future visit but, before going to the island capital of Palermo, I very much wanted to visit the archaeological site of Selinunte. This entailed taking a bus to castelvetrano and then changing to a local bus for Marinella, the village providing accommodation for those visiting Selinunte. The trip to Castelvetrano was uneventful.
Inside restored temple, Selinunte
Come to that so was the local bus ride. It was the absurd gap between the two, with the Selinunte bus being well over an hour late that forced another change of plan. To get to Palermo after visiting Selinunte was out of the question.

I met an Australian who was financing his trip by photography. He had identified a place to stay in Marinella and so I joined him and we ended up sharing a room to avoid the exorbitant cost of a single each. I was concerned that he should not prejudice his photographic activities by waiting for me so he left the room first. When I left twenty minutes later, everything was in good order.

Selinunte is a very large site with a plethora of temples, the Acropolis area in which most of the population had lived and a necropolis. There are two separate car parks. In all this space I doubt whether I saw twenty people. It was a beautiful afternoon, the wild flowers were a real show and the sense of peace was extraordinary. I was totally relaxed and happy.

One of the temples had been restored. Apparently this was very controversial. Why? In my view to have reconstructed a lot of temples would have been unforgivable but one? There are surely some funny people around!

I returned before my Australian friend - to find the owners of the hotel mopping up vast puddles of water in our room. Both our bags were soaked at the bottom. ???? No explanation was offered and we had already paid! At least the meal was fine, if a bit overpriced.
Restored temple, Selinunte
Restored temple, Selinunte
Temple complex 1, Selinunte
Temple complex 1, Selinunte
Temple complex 2, Selinunte
Temple complex 2, Selinunte
Temple in Acropolis area, Selinunte
Temple in Acropolis area, Selinunte
Temple undergoing remedial work, S…
Temple undergoing remedial work, …
Selinunte