Festival's final day

Agrigento Travel Blog

The concert ready to begin
There were crowds waiting in the Via Atenea for the procession to start. Questions about when this might happen led to expressively shrugged shoulders. Some, particularly little girls were wearing ver ornate clothing. After an age they came, each country having its own display - countries from Europe, Asia, Latin America and Africa. Anglo-Saxon countries were conspicuous by their total absence. Some countries included horses or donkeys in the procession, creating 'problems' for those coming behind.

I did follow, though the stench left by the creatures with their 'problems' was a bit hard to accept. They were clearly going to arrive at the Valley of the Temples long before the concert was due to start so I went into the Archaeological Museum on the way down. This does not enjoy the same reputation as the one in Siracusa that was closed but it is a purpose built museum with a very high ceiling in one part to alow for a telamon made up from broken parts.
Procession 1
A telemon is a gigantic stome figure, presumably taking its name from Homer's Telemonian Ajax who was accustomed to hurling massive rocks as though they were pebbles.

I still had plenty of time for another stroll among the temples before the concert started. The road had smply been closed to traffic, including buses and now provided  a place for the audience. Each country put on a song or act of its own choice. Sadly I recognised that, if the buses were not coming, I should have to walk back up the long hill to the town. Long uphill walks are not my forte since severe heart problems in 1995 so it would take ages and that meant I only stayed for the beginning of the concert. I arrived back at my room exhausted and immediately fell asleep

However the Festival had another trick up its sleeve. I was awakened by what I first thought to be gunshots though I quickly realised it was the firework display. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I got up, went out and had a fantastic view from way above where the fireworks were launched, a fitting end to a splendid day.
Procession 1
Just look at those dresses!
Just look at those dresses!
Procession 2