Cefalu and Castelbuono

Cefalu Travel Blog

The timetable I had been given at the Tourist Office had been manualy changed at Palermo's Stazione Centrale so I was waiting longer than I had expected. It left me with only a short time between arrival in Cefalu and the bus from there to Castelbuono - a bit of a quandary. having so enjoyed Caltabellotta, I really wanted to get into the interior again and I had identified Castelbuono as the only likely place. On the other hand not to see the cathedral at Cefalu seemed absurd. Its mosaics are not Arab/Norman like those of Monreale but earlier Byzantine ones. I cannot claim to have discerned any great difference but try putting Jesus Pantocrator Cefalu and Jesus Pantocrator Monreale into a search engine and you can see for yourself. Actually the Cathedral was undergoing repair so I didn't stay long. Even so I arrived at the bus terminus just in time to see it pull away!

This seemed something of a disaster because the buses are far from frequent but I was ressured on seeing that Castelbuono was the next station on the line to Messina and that a train was almost due. I suppose I must have felt proud because everybody knows what follows pride and I so nearly fell. The village of Castelbuono, I discovered, was somewhere near 15 kilometres uphill from the station!! Fortunately a fellow passenger tok pity and I was a passenger with him in his car. He took me to the Tourist Office. They were really helpful and phoned a B&B that advertised reasonable prices. Yes, they woud have me for the night if i would pay nearly as much as two for being on my own. I declined. Fearing the same thing might happen at other B&Bs they tried a local (the local) hotel. Reasonable price - accepted. I found out a bit later why it was a reasonable price.

Meanwhile the Tourist Office allowed me to leave my stuff while I walked to see the castle before it closed. The weather at this stage was the worst I had for the whole trip - not raining but it wrecked the views. I collected my bag and went for the only fast food meal that I had in Sicily. In fact it was enjoyable and the friendliness of the owners and other customers was great. So to the cheap(ish) hotel. The receptionist was a man in his late 50s or early 60s who made me wait while he finished his hand at cards with two friends. he took my money and gave me a key. There was nobody in the bar and i had only been in my room for a few minutes when I heard the door slam. From that moment until I left next morning I was the human population of the hotel!
Cefalu