Arrival and first day at Agrigento

Agrigento Travel Blog

East side - not sure which!
In spite of some indications to the contrary it is not possible to go directly from Siracusa to Agrigento by public transport so I had to return to Siracusa and change there. The ride through the interior to reach Agrigento was very enjoyable. I had no accommodation booked and I was dismayed to find placards about a festival (Festa di Mandorlo in Fiori - Almond Blossom). This had to indicate a problem with finding a bed. I thought I would just try first at the place I had chosen in the Rough Guide. To both my amazement and delight there was no problem in getting a double room for single use on the ground floor. I had found a notice about the festival on the way and realised that it would finish on the following day with a procession, a final concert at the Valley of the Temples and a firework display.
Along the Valley

Thinking that there would be far too many people at the Valley the next day, I took a local bus immediately. Of Sicily's larger town Agrigento is my favourite. Not only is its principal street, the Via Atenea, a real road with real shops; the Valley of the Temples is a real marvel. Goodness knows why they needed so many temples but it certainly provides a magical place now!. The east side of the road is best as the temples are less ruined and one has been re-constructed. However the enormous pile of rubble to the west that was once the temple of Zeus has much interest.

I decided to watch the procession next day and perhaps follow it for at least part of the fianal open air concert.
Reconstructed temple of Concord