An introduction, planning and packing for my trip

England Travel Blog

First blog post! Hello everyone and welcome to my new travel blog. I'm Liz, Elizabeth or Lizzie, otherwise known as lizfairy to those who have followed me here from an external link. ;) First of all, strangely enough, I love traveling, experiencing other cultures and trying new things. I'm a vegetarian traveler, in great need of knowing a little Brazilian Portuguese (I'll be equipped with a phrase book during my travels in Brazil). This is the last major long haul trip I'll be able to make before starting as an undergraduate fresher at the University Edinburgh in September where I'll be studying Anthropology. I have just completed an art foundation diploma, specialising in lens based media though my grades won't be known until mid July, at which point I'll already be in Brazil! As a prospective Anthropologist and photographer I want to use this opportunity of travel not ONLY to lie on beaches and soak up the sun, but also to visit museums, meet local people and try to capture in image form an essence of Brazilian culture.

Though for this next week I'm busy setting up my photography exhibition in Exeter, I have taken time to purchase some extra kit pieces for my travels. The 30th June is getting closer, Heathrow to Rio de Janeiro isn't seeming so far away, even if I have Glastonbury festival in between.

Here's the basic outline of my trip anyway, consider this post partially in note form.

30th June-Heathrow flight
1st July, arrive in Rio-Hand gliding, museums, christ the redeemer, sugar loaf cable car, Samba, natural restaurants, beach, other icons!
14th July, Wednesday, leave Rio (RODOVIARA station) 9.00 to be sure of arriving early in Angra dos Reis.
From Angra dos Reis, 13:00 or 15:30 ferry to Abraao.
14th to 18th on Ilha Grande, snorkelling and diving, hiking, beach
18th leave Abraao, 10:00 to get to Angra dos Reis, take bus to Paraty-Horseriding, visiting collonial city, hiking, viewing falls.
18th-23rd-Paraty, early morning bus to Sao Paolo, night bus to Foz de Iguazu
24th-26th-Foz de Iguazu-View falls from Brazilian side
26th-29th-Puerto Iguazu-View falls from Argentinian side, boats into falls, walking around rainforest, Salsa, perhaps a day trip to Paraguay.
29th Overnight bus to Rio
30th-Rio overnight
31st-Flight to Manaus
31st July&1st August-13th Manaus-Expedition into the amazon and a day either side to explore Manaus and it's museums including the Anthropology and Natural history museums, Teatro Amazonas and scientific park. Early morning flight via Sao Paolo to Rio.
13th-last night in Rio
14th August, return to Rio

My pack is well on the way to being Complete. I'll photograph it prior to going.

Checklist

Already have
---
Rucksack: 60 litre gelert with a 20 litre day sack attatched.
Raincover: 80-100 litre capability.
Pack a way mack: From Mountain warehouse.
Sunglasses and case
Copies of passport:Though lamination would be a good idea.
Caxton fx currency card.
t shirts: check but haven't decided which yet!
Hiking shoes: Check. I got the meindl goretex nebraskas from Cotswold outdoor centre.
Hat: Check. Thanks Pops.
Travel alarm: phone will double up as this
First aid kit
DSLR camera
Mobile Phone
Ipod
Chargers: mobile phone, camera battery, ipod
Mosquito spray containing deet
Spork
fleece: which can double up as a pillow
pen knife
duct tape
bikini
comfy sandles: from my last trip to India
yellow fever certificate and vaccination passport
Passport!

hiking socks
x2 good books
Travel plug adaptor
Malaria tablets

All I can think of for now. I'll keep updated! (Please note, for the safety of myself and my travel buddy I will not review hostels and experiences until having left them so my exact location is retained.)

Thanks for reading :)