Beautiful Ravello

Ravello Travel Blog

The journey from Amalfi to Ravello was probably one of the scariest coach rides that I have ever been on in my entire. It started off ok, a nice air conditioned coach, gradually ascending to Ravello. Normally I am perfectly fine with heights, but I was in a coach that had to keep stopping and pulling over right next to the edge of the road where I had a view of a sheer drop, to make room for cars heading in the opposite direction.

However, once we had reached Ravello I was in love and forgot all about the journey. The town itself is so beautiful and so colourful. There are spectacular views of the Amalfi coast, I am annoyed that yet again my camera played up on me but I have fantastic memories. The church of San Giovanni del Toro was beautifully decorated and I have always had a fascination with mosaics which were inside.

Having been distracted by the beauty of Ravello I had completely forgotten about the coach journey back down from Ravello to Amalfi, I think I had to keep closing my eyes. The driver appeared to not know where the breaks were so we were in a zooming coach and at several times it looked as though we were going to shoot off the edge of the cliff. We had to stop part way down for a while as a young woman felt extremely sick!

Even though the journey was scary it was definitely worth it and I would do it again. There is a path between Amalfi and Ravello so you do not have to go by coach. I would have walked down from Ravello but by that time the heat was pounding and I was with my nan & aunt so did not want to risk it. I think it is approximately a 2 hour walk.

Ravello