Ik-kil, the blue cenote

Chichen Itza Travel Blog

Cenote Ik-kil

(sorry for the wrong date, should be May 25, I had some problems uploading this as a separate journal entry on the same date, same location)

After this great, impressive morning, filled with culture we had one more stop on our round trip: Cenote Ik-kil, the so called ‘Blue Cenote’ situated in the developing eco-archaeological  park close to Chichén Itzá . A cenote is an underwater sinkhole. Typical for the Yucatán area.

After paying a entrance fee we entered the park and I was surprised by the beautiful colour of the water, changing almost every second (by the floating clouds). It was about noon, so a very hot experience J!

After visiting the cenote we had lunch at a touristy, but nice, restaurant and then drove to the airport. Most of our group was leaving that day. Only two of us booked an extended stay in Playa del Carmen!

It took about 30 to 40 minutes to get to Playa del Carmen. At night I met Mark (travelman727) for dinner. It’s always a surprise to meet the real person behind the TravBuddy profile J

It turned out that Mark and I could talk and laugh very easily! Plenty of subjects to discuss.

Chichen Itza