Folkestone - a sleepy town by the sea

Folkestone Travel Blog

view of the port in Dover. Boats and Ferries to France are on and off twentyfour hours

Nowadays in Europe we all are spoiled by the low-fare flight companies, taking you to different countries within Europe almost cheaper than a short taxiride in my hometown. This weekend I took over to England celebrating my nieces birthday. After a short flight I entered the London Gatwick airport where my brother took me up. From Gatwick airport to Folkestone are very good roads, but you need good timing not been stuck in terrible traffic jams where the big motorways look like a huge parking-lot.

Well, after some ninety minutes we entered my brothers house in Folkestone and it was really good to see his family again. They live in a residential area with new built houses just outside the town where a strategical military airport was located during the second world war.

Dover, the port
The town is really not much to see, but boring residential houses lining up in ordinary streets. The town dominates of the huge terminal-system to the Dover-Calais railway tunnel, and all the trucks and vehicles of less size stock up in the area.

Having said that, the waterfront is really nice, with pebble beaches, park areas, play grounds and some caf├ęs. An evening stroll by the water front is really nice. So is also to discover the pathways up in the green and hilly outskirts of the town. The hills are chalk stone and the significant white edges are really spectacular.

Early in the morning I took a walk at the Hawkinge crematorium and graveyard. It was beautiful noticing at the crematorium the custom is to plant a tree-rose for every person in memorial. Lots of beautiful flourishing tree-roses in all coulours were there.

Dover
Further down I found a cemetary with only white granite-stones. It was victims, many Germans, from the WW2, only men in the ages 18 -25! The landscape around the cemetary were just godious, with green hilly fields like green pastures.

Besides celebrating my niece as a total surprise for her, we took our time to visit Dover white cliffs and Canterbury Cathedral as well as long walks on the green and hilly grounds.

Dover is 'just-around-the-corner' east of Folkestone, and to the west is the town Hythe. All these small towns along the southern coast lines up like pearls on a necklase. From Dover was the famous operation Dunkerque planned, administrated and implemented in WW2. See review.

My last morning in Folkestone I jumped on a coach taking me along the narrow road to Canterbury. It is always something special with buses in England. To sit on the upper deck in the front, you have a fantastic panorama view of the landscape. The gardens are well shaped and maintained and the houses looks very small and cramp, and most of them are. The big trees bow their crowns shaping like archades over the road. Sometime you feel like driving in a tunnel of green leaves. Some trees are shaped from the big vehicles cutting its edges sharp when passing them by.

view of the port in Dover. Boats a…
view of the port in Dover. Boats …
one of my friends
looking at the tunnel terminals
looking at the tunnel terminals
on the green hills of Folkstone
on the green hills of Folkstone
Folkestone, the tunnel terminals, …
Folkestone, the tunnel terminals,…
green hills in Folkestone