Getting lost, the heat, and some Slovak art

Banska Bystrica Travel Blog

The city....as I get lost and end up driving out of town!

I tried to find a place to stop for another church that I kept passing, over and over, with each coming and going from town. I ended up on a marathon journey of ridiculous proportions. A wasted 25 minutes later, I located a safe place to pull over (there is no shoulder or any businesses or houses within….many kilometers!!! Anyway, it was worth it as I was able to photograph a village scene, mountain-side and it’s quaint church with the red double cross.

I returned to the penzion and headed straight for the town hall (info) and it’s gallery. The door was locked but a lady did come to the door and let me visit the art exhibition (1.5 euro). I entered a room with a very small exhibition compliment but, it was exceptional (photography not allowed).

It was so hot....I almost joined in
The artist seemed to prefer darker colors and showing a transformation in his subject over several pieces, from dark to literally faceless and dripping off the canvas. It’s much better than I am describing. He also offers a dark perspective to a simple window and a doorway….exceptional, if only you could see it.

There are two other floors of different exhibitions, all modern. They are interesting…..probably my favorite is one that is black and white, composition is that of musicians, with a traditional Slovak crafty look to the simple lines. It was great.

After, I walked the main drag and enjoyed and ice cream cone with two scoops (.70 euro). Kids were playing at the fountain, trying to get sprayed by a rogue jet.

What a great day. I feel like I have visited much more of Slovakia than I could otherwise, thanks to the Museum of the Slovak Village.

I retired to my perch and listened to the hourly chimes while resting and thinking about tomorrow and my next Slovak castle adventure.

The night ended with the town’s tower playing taps for me at 10:50 pm.

The city....as I get lost and end …
The city....as I get lost and end…
Banska Bystrica