Entering Vysoke Tatry (The High Tatras)

Novy Smokovec Travel Blog

I left my little sleepy village of Habovka this morning for the High Tatras. I first stopped in at the neighboring village of Zuberec. I had seen a crafts store and peeked in the window on my walk, yesterday. I found a few treasures for myself and a few gifts.

The distance was only a little over an hours drive but, I extended that with my slow driving and stopping for pics now and then. It didn’t take long before the snowy, craggly peaks of the Vysoke Tatry were in view.

It was very warm….I was sweating but the blue sky made up for it. There were a few clouds but they added character to the view

I stopped for gas in one town and decided to check the oil.

I had driven the car quite hard in getting to Bratislava and also all of the mountain driving. It seemed to need a little so I went in to buy a quart….or liter? Now, I haven’t purchased oil for the car since we have lived in Europe…and didn’t know how expensive it is. I was shocked. I thought I was reading it wrong. Did it say…..33 euro…..and this is a cheaper country. I was shocked. They only sold synthetic …fine but, I was still shocked at the price.

Once in the area of Vysoke Tatry, there are many little villages just one after another. I made it to my village of Novy Smokovec and drove through, thinking that I could find my place….right! After driving around for a bit, I decided to park the car and walk around.

After having an impossible discussion with a parking attendant about my search for my accommodations, she let me park for free. It took me almost an hour and the assistance of the police to get me pointed in the right direction. I would have never found where it was….seriously. It turns out that the buildings in these villages do not have street addresses. They all are listed by the region, then the village and then a number. So……you can’t just locate it without knowing how the numbers go….and of course they aren’t in order!

Anyway, I found it…very cute. I settle in, take a look at the view from my wrap-around balcony and then head off for Tatranska Lomnica.

I had planned to go up to the top of Lomnicky Stit (second tallest mountain in the Tatras) but, my journey to TL was fruitless. The post office was closed, as all of them I pass seem to be. The ULUV store there had virtually nothing, and the directions given to me to reach the lift……didn’t work out.

I was frustrated and after driving away from my paid parking, I returned and took out the guides. I looked for other interesting things in the vicinity. After consulting with TomTom, I decided on two; Zdiar, and Spis Castle. I was thrilled as Spis was closer than I had thought. Off I went.

Novy Smokovec