Church bells in Zuberec

Zuberec Travel Blog

I returned to the penzion and had a snack and watched a bit of “Sex and the City”. That’s my DVD viewing for this trip.

After a rest, I set out to see the countryside on foot. I walked from Habovka to Zuberec along the road, near the river. It’s only a couple of miles and the time just flies as you enjoy the flowers, the hay stacks, mountains, and listen to the rushing river. The whole journey was a treat for the senses.

Upon entering Zuberec, the 18:15 church bells were ringing. The town’s people left their houses for church service. The people walking down the sidewalk with children in tow and some in their white altar boy/girl robes, was touching. The community was brought together, everyday. I wanted to photograph it but, did not want to invade their privacy.

I walked into their neighborhoods. I wanted a feel for how they lived. The mixture of very old and rather new was in sharp contrast. Some of the houses had to be many hundreds of years old and others only a few decades.

Walking back to town center, I climb down the river at one of the low falls and put my feet in for a cool off. At first it felt quite cold but, after a few seconds, it was really feeling good. There were dandelions all over the banks…..and all over the countryside. They had been blowing into the car, all day, along with a large bee (second time in two days). These bees get sucked in by the air current, I guess. They keep ending up in my crotch…..and it’s disturbing as I have to quickly find a place to stop and get out of the car so that the bee can go on it’s way.

IvanR says:
Great blog! I enjoyed reading it. Many nice pictures too. The description of your troubles (visiting museums, parking etc) is very realistic - we (locals) experience the same - some things still did not change much since communist era ;)
Posted on: Jun 16, 2010