Challenge but perserverance paying off!

Zdiar Travel Blog

Zdiar lies in the valley between the Belianske Tatras and the Spiska Magura mountain ranges. A number of wooden buildings in the village preserve and present the Goral (Polish speaking) mountain people. The Zdiarsky dom museum is a living example of the dress, daily life, and feasts and ceremonies of the local inhabitants, most of whom in past centuries relied on sheepherding for their livelihood.

The wooden houses are characterized by painted ornamentation, especially around the windows. The windows and doors are pained red with with designs on them. The fill material between the logs is colored blue. The museum houses many examples of the lively and colorful traditional clothing.

I had difficulty in finding the museum and had to enlist the assistance of the local police.

They were very nice and even had me follow them to assure that I found it.

Even though the sign showed that it should have been open, it was closed. I walked around a bit but, then decided to move on. I had to continue down the town road to turn around and make my way back. Upon approaching the museum, again, there were many people entering the museum. I stopped and joined the line and entered.

It was a group of German tourists. There guide tried to make me leave but, I refused. In here worst English, she kept telling me to come back after 4pm (closing time). I told here that I had waited here and that the door had been locked. I was not leaving! I looked around and paid my entrance fee but, was patient with the group. It turned out that the lady running the museum had been out front taking to someone at a car. She had seen me trying to get into the museum and ignored me….not nice. Well….I got to see it anyway!

photo by: Morle