AsiaNepalLandruk

From Tolka to Landruk

Landruk Travel Blog

Looking at Ghandruk through Tolka

The first photo is looking at Ghandruk. Actually it's looking at a landslide, but if you look to the far right you will see a cluster of buildings & that marks the beginning of Ghandruk. To get there from the photo shot, you need to continue for a few hours on this side of the mountain, past Tolka, which is seen to the right, starting at those few buildings & going for miles (hours at our pace). Then you go down the mountain to the very bottom, then go up again the other side to the almost top. The locals want a bridge...
We stopped for the night at Landruk, at Mani's insistence. They had left us a few hours before because I was going too bistari for them & they wanted a hot shower & the guarantee of a room. They promised to book one for us, which they did, but as the day drew to a close & we were still going through Tolka, we wondered if they'd remember us.

The second photo is looking closer at some dwellings & their gardens along the way. It was such a beautiful walk. The locals all say hello, "Namaste", and as the schools remained closed due to the strike, the children all wanted to talk to the foreigners who were walking past their homes. All want sweeties. No-one I spoke to gave out lollies. It's written on all the menus not  to give to beggars or children. One child at Tolka who insisted on walking with my daughter, talking constantly, asked Daughter for sweeties & when told 'no', asked for her earrings, then pens & finally her medicine, which was sticking out of a pocket on her backpack. Daughter then clearly explained it was rude to ask for things. No doubt the child thought Daughter was rude to not give her anything.
It amazed me how the paths walk straight past so many open house doors - they get no privacy at all. I can't see that being accepted in Australia, and certainly not by me!

Tolka