AsiaNepalDhampus

To Deurali I

Dhampus Travel Blog

Dhampus view in morning
We woke to clear mountain views & set off early before we remembered that our legs were rebelling from the thousands of steps of yesterday. We noticed there are many Deurali's on the map & were told that it means a holy place, which can be represented by a special tree, or group of them, or a rock, or some other site that connects with something of significance to someone. The Deurali we were heading for had more spectacular views of snowy Himalayan mountains, and a cluster of... can I call them  houses when they are really buildings with multi-purpose functions??? Groups of tea houses take advantage of places with views. It's where you catch up with those who've overtaken you on the path. Experiences, knowledge & suggestions shared. We found that many groups split up for short spurts, depending on the speed of each traveller.
huts along the way to Deurali
I was a 'bistari' walker. All the Nepalese we passed would say to me, "Bistari, bistari"... slowly, slowly. To acclimatise, for sure; to enjoy the scenery, absolutely. Plastic bottled water is readily available everywhere & costs from 10rp per litre in Pokhara & Kathmandu, to 70rp in the hills. You can also buy iodine or chlorine tablets if you don't want to add extra plastic to the environment. The quality of the bottles is a concern, the lids having leaked in our packs a few times.
Most of the buildings have tin roofs, held in place with rocks or heavy branches. Nails must be expensive, or maybe there are no beams to nail the tin into place? I never thought to look from the inside, but then again I do remember seeing loose ceilings (read hessian or fabric) hiding thatch & tin... It was common to see lovely little thatched huts in the distance, but I don't recall seeing any up close.
Dhampus