AsiaNepalPokhara

The Bus Trip to Kathmandu

Pokhara Travel Blog

just a shop along the way
I had my reservations about travelling on the road after experiencing the taxi rides in Kathmandu, Pokhara & from Birethanti, but this enabled me to understand that in order to survive on a road in Nepal, you needed to be a brilliant, allert, considerate & skilled driver. You must also know the code of the horn. They coded. You'd hear them code back after being honked. They'd honk to say, move over, I want to go faster than you so get off the road so I can go in front. The vehicle in front would give a suitable toot back to acknowledge & then pull over to let you past.
a bridge & view from bus
If there were oncoming vehicles doing exactly the same on your side of the road, while you were on their's, each driver would drive to suit the conditions & enable all parties to safely get to where they wanted to go. No-one on our bus understood why I kept screaming. I didn't mean to. I didn't have a seat belt on & I felt that if we swerved too far to the left, I'd be the one who went down that enormous cliff that was appearing under our wheels. I should have had an aisle seat instead of the window. I haven't been game to watch the movies I recorded of these events, as yet. Obviously we did arrive safely at Kathmandu, and I did not remember to thank the driver. My apologies. And my thanks.
On the way I watched every possible millimetre of the view. It changed constantly from cliff to river to mountains to towns, to villages, to hamlets, to shops, to rural farms, to people to animals and so on.
river view with a load of fencing wire beside the road
It was not a boring drive. We stopped unexpectedly a few times. We had 2 scheduled stops for meal and toilet breaks. The unexpected times were when passengers needed extra toilet stops. The bus stopped & they went bush. The other unexpected stop lasted an hour when a truck about 2km further up the road collided with another truck. I'll add a photo of the deceased, or resting, truck. The other was towed towards Pokhara with a crumpled front corner. That corner must have clipped the towed truck & knocked it over. Daughter left our resting bus & walked up to see what was stopping the traffic. All around the stopped traffic were street vendors, selling cut cucumbers, icecreams, water etc.
The view from my window was over a river where rafts were going down rapids. It made an interesting activity to watch.
a bridge & view from bus
river view with a load of fencing …
river view with a load of fencing…
river rafting