Disaster in the Gulf

Gulf Shores Travel Blog

the pristine beaches of the Gulf coast

All along, I had been concerned about the oil spill affecting the Gulf Coast, for my own selfish reasons of my vacation.  Luckily, Gulf Shores had not been affected, and I was able to enjoy my trip.

Sitting on the beach the evening before I left, I was taking pictures and listening to the crash of the waves on the shore, and I talked to a family from Birmingham.  They had come down last minute to see the pristine coast one last time as the threat of oil continues.  That’s when I realized the devastation that looms.

I had one small victory – when I went for gas, I refused to go to the BP, getting a full tank at the Exxon station.  Along the way though, I noticed some BP stations were practically empty, whereas some seemed as busy as ever.

When I left Gulf Shores Thursday morning, the news report gave that the concern now was the mud that was being used to fill the oil leak; it was spreading throughout the Gulf and was 55 miles away from shore.

I truly hope that the Gulf Coast region can recover from this.  From what I saw, the region is a beautiful area.

ahtibat17 says:
Thank you very much! I would love to return to the Gulf Coast and visit Dauphin Island. Thanks for the update, too!
Posted on: Jun 25, 2010
Stelarmod says:
Nice features and blogs. I was in Biloxi and Mobile the week after you visited. Most places along the coast that I viewed had clean up crews or flotation equipment either collecting oil or prepping in the event that the oil was moving in. If you get a chance, make sure to visit Dauphin Island in Alabama. Really genuine place...unfortunately part of the island was being closed to the public while I was there due to the oil clean up or prepping for the worst...I was stopped by a police checkpoint and they said that the "west point"-no exactly sure if that was the location-was closed to the public.
Posted on: Jun 15, 2010
the pristine beaches of the Gulf c…
the pristine beaches of the Gulf …
Gulf Shores