Back the Way I Came

Illinois Travel Blog

I left Gulf Shores at 7:15-ish this morning.  I had planned on going through Biloxi to the Hard Rock Café and Memphis to go to the zoo and a Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien book signing.  But, I changed my mind.  I really just wanted to go home, so I went the way I came: AL 59 to 287 to I-65, 24 and 57 to the Centralia exit and home.  I drove straight through, stopping only once in Decatur, Alabama for gas ($2.55 a gallon!) and a Subway salad (that I successfully ate while driving, I figured I’d had enough practice riding shotgun in the truck that I could pull this off).

Even with all the construction zones, I made good time.  That is, until just almost to the Kentucky line when traffic came to a complete standstill.  A wreck between a semi and a mini-van blocking the lane.  It must have just occurred, because the state troopers were having to pass on the shoulder.  Being a truck-driver’s daughter, I truly hope and pray that the drivers were okay.  Once I passed this, it was smooth sailing again, until central Kentucky – an absolute TORRENTIAL downpour.  I have never really considered pulling off the side of the road during rain, but I did today.  It was AWFUL.  But, I just kept driving.  It rained on and off until I was home.  I got there just after 5:30, nearly 10 and a half hours after I began the day on the Gulf Coast.  I love to go, but it’s good to be home!