Another Day in Paradise

Gulf Shores Travel Blog

I wanted to be at the Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo shortly after they opened at 9 o’clock.  I got there ten after, and parked right by the entrance, there was hardly anyone there!  First thing, I was captivated by the lemurs.  They were so active and playful!  I followed the sidewalk part, being a fairly small zoo, it’s easy to navigate, and stopped at Trey’s exhibit, a special needs capuchin monkey.  He was adorable!  The bear was pacing, reminding me of myself.  I am definitely a pacer.  And, then I entered the aviary; the birds were quite talkative, one even offering a ‘hello’ greeting.  I wandered around the zoo, watching the tigers and several other animals.  An hour later, it was sunny, hot and I was starving.  So, I went to the Island Pancake House for a late breakfast/early lunch.

I wasn’t expecting a restaurant with a view, but it does overlook the Gulf.  I was having a hard time deciding between the chocolate chip pancakes and the sweet potato pancakes, but went with the sweet potato.  I had never had them before (or seen them offered) and they were delicious!

I finally gave in and went to the gas station (Exxon, not BP!) because my gas tank was running on fumes before returning to the hotel to get ready for another afternoon at the beach.  I spent three hours there, with two coats of sunscreen.  I waited until it started raining before I left.  The black clouds rolled in, but I wasn’t giving in.  I read, I shell-sought (I’m going to try to use some in my scrapbook).  Once it started raining, I retreated to my car, but since it seemed like it was going to keep up, I went back to the hotel where I have hung out for a couple hours.

I ate dinner at Calypso Joe’s in Orange Beach.  I dined outside, overlooking the marina.  I got one of their favorite dishes, fish in a tin, a fish filet (of some sort, I forget what kind) grilled with pineapple compote in an aluminum foil bag.  It was really, really good.  I wandered back to Gulf Shores (avoiding the toll) and sat on the beach for awhile.  This is my absolute favorite part of going to the beach.  Just as the sun is setting, sitting on the beach and watching and listening to the waves crash the shore.  I chatted with a nice mother-son from Birmingham, and in doing so, I was reminded of the oil-spill threat and became obsessed with taking pictures of the pristine beach.  Too many pictures later, I returned to the hotel to get packed up and ready to head North in the morning.

Gulf Shores