It's All About the Food

Gulf Shores Travel Blog

When I travel, I tend to focus on where and what to eat.  Food is very important to me.

*Chick-Fil-A… Normally, I wouldn’t eat at a fast food restaurant.  But, to me, Chick-fil-A is special.  I was introduced to it in college in Birmingham, and had been craving it since I’d gone to North Carolina with Dad in April.  There is just nothing like a chicken sandwich and waffle fries from Chick-fil-A.  I promised myself I would get Chick-fil-A on the way down, saving time on the road.  I stopped in Athens, Alabama, and the restaurant was so busy, I drove thru – this is the VERY first time I’d done this in my Equinox, which I’ve had 2 ½ years.

I was going to behave and get a grilled chicken, but I couldn’t help it, a #1 Original screamed out to me.  I tell you, the pickle makes that sandwich.

*Burris Farm Market… Supposedly, Burris Farm Market has some of the best strawberry shortcake in the South.  And, their pies are to die for.  I stopped on my way down to Gulf Shores, and got the strawberry shortcake, since the peanut butter pie wasn’t sold by the slice.   It was good, a large portion, and the strawberries were really fresh, but I don’t know if I’d call this the best shortcake in the South.  It just didn’t live up to my expectations.

*Panini Pete’s… I had seen Panini Pete’s featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network, and since it was only about a half-hour from Gulf Shores, I had to check it out.

I got the roasted turkey panino that features their housemade mozzarella and roasted turkey with their homemade French fries; both were enthusiastically recommended by my waitress (I had debated on the mozzarella and tomato panino).  My sandwich was good, but I wondered if I shouldn’t have gotten the one I had originally thought.  Oh, well.  The roasted turkey was full of flavor, but I really wanted a good taste of the mozzarella; it kind of got lost in this sandwich.

*Lulu’s… I hadn’t intended on eating supper tonight; I was just going to snack on what I brought.  But, while shopping at a scrapbook store, I heard about Lulu’s, the restaurant run by Jimmy Buffett’s sister.  I got the veggie burrito (and debated the Loopty Lu to drink, but decided I’d probably go for ice cream later).

The veggie burrito was awesome.  It was a grilled burrito filled with black beans, cabbage, sautéed peppers and onions, tomato and cheddar jack cheese.  It was awesome.  So far, it’s been the best thing I’ve eaten on this trip.

*Island Pancake House… I had seen a billboard for the Island Pancake House on my way in.   I LOVE pancakes and really wanted to work it into my trip.  Even though it’s a hotel (the Best Western) restaurant, which made me a little leery of the quality, I went for a late breakfast/early lunch.  They have a full breakfast menu, but the pancake menu wasn’t as extensive as I thought it would be.  I debated between the chocolate chip and sweet potato pancakes.  The waitress wasn’t any help, saying they were both good.

I went with the sweet potato pancakes, because I’d never had them before.  I was very happy with my choice.  But, she brought sausage and bacon, which I hadn’t ordered, so I was a little aggravated with that, but the sweet potato pancakes were delicious.

*Calypso Joe’s Caribbean Grille… In googling restaurants for my trip, I came across Calypso Joe’s Caribbean Grille.  Since seafood is a Gulf delicacy, I thought I ought to eat some.  However, I am allergic to shellfish, so I definitely have to be careful about that.  Calypso Joe’s has one fish dish that is an absolute favorite, so I got that.  It’s fish in a tin, a filet with pineapple compote grilled inside an aluminum foil bag and served with rice and a grilled vegetable skewer.

I have never, ever ordered fish (oh, wait, once on the cruise), but I was pleasantly surprised.  It was really, really good.  The pineapple compote gave the fish a nice fruity, sweet taste.  And, the grilled vegetable skewer was awesome – red onion, green pepper, tomato and mushrooms.  Even though I practically ate everything, I seriously considered the key lime pie the waitress suggested, but managed to find my willpower.  (Thinking I would get ice cream or dessert later. But, I kept the willpower and did no such a thing).

Gulf Shores