Island tour

Rhodes Travel Blog

It was an exhausting day so I’ll be brief. I joined the group of tourists on an excursion called Island Tour. Basically we drove around the whole island, which is not that hard since it’s not that vast. Start: 8:30.

First stop: Tsambika Monastery. Seeing Tsambika Bay seen from the hill was nice. Even though I’m a non-believer, when I lit the candle by the Saint Mary’s icon I asked for numerous and safe travels. The odd thing is that the light first flickered when I put it on the altar. I guess it means: not yet?

Next stop: Lyndos. Oh, how much I loved it there!! It didn’t matter to me that the sun was merciless. Climbing these narrow streets was all worth it when I laid my eyes on the remains of Athena’s sanctuary and St Paul’s Bay. And the donkeys were cool too. I bought a bunch of postcards and I rate the city 5 stars :)

Moving on to Monolithos. Now this is a place I’d like to come back to one day. We didn’t get to see the church and ruins of the castle. Maybe one day?

Then off to Siana for some honey. Sweet! In Ebonas we had lunch at a cozy, laid back tavern. The owners were kind people and the food was awesome. I had an eggplant stuffed with garlic, dressed with onions and tomatoes. It was scrumptious and melted in my mouth. I loved all the typical appetizers, I was so full I couldn’t possibly take another bite!

A short stop over at Apollona for wine tasting. The white semi-sweet one was really good actually. Last, by not least, we reach the valley of butterflies called Petaloudes. I kind of had high hopes for that one, alas it wasn’t as spectacular as one might imagine but still it was nice to take a walk in the forest.

We came back to the hotel at 17:45 or so. I really enjoyed myself but now I need to go swim, so bye bye ;)

168 km (104 miles) traveled