Kumasi

Kumasi Travel Blog

May 26, 2010
Hotel: Fosua Hotel, Kumasi, Ghana
Another long transport day today.. heading south 400kms to the Ashanti homeland of Kumasi.  I had recently purchased the Insider's Travel & Living Guide to Ghana, it has excellent info on bus schedules.  We arrived at the STC station around 6:30 to buy tickets for the 7AM bus to Kumasi.  Buying a bus ticket is an easy process; first you pay for the ticket, then weigh your bags and pay another small fee for the baggage tag.  Then the bags go in under the bus.  The State Transport Company (STC) bus was nice & new with working aircon.
Charlie and Pray toothpaste

Along the way we passed over the Black and White Volta rivers and the turnoff to Mole park. We were making good time until the break at Kintampo, about the halfway point distance wise.  The bus stopped here for a short break for lunch.  I bought a hard-boiled egg from a vendor for $0.20.. they served it with red onion and a very spicy pepper sauce.  I wanted to take a photo of some of the fruit for sale, huge avocados and mangos.  The vendor said I could if I bought something.. so I said Ok, I'll have a mango.  Well they started loading up a bag full of fruit, apparently they don't sell them by the singles only by a coffee tin full!  I asked to buy just one, at that point the vendor looked annoyed and just waved me off.

The bus was equipped with TV screens and to pass the time they showed (bad) Nigerian movies.
Woman in market
  Kinda interesting really, all very dramatic, and usually involved stealing money, (presumed) adultery, etc.  They usually featured the king/chief of the village giving out advice.

From the rest point, the road entered the hills on the way to Techiman.  The road degraded considerably here; this was slow going and we took almost 3 hrs to cover the 120kms between Techiman and Kumasi.  Arrived in Kumasi around 3pm, eight hrs after leaving Tamale.  Bad luck again with our first choice of hotels, the Presbyterian Guesthouse near the bus station was also full!  We settled for the Fosua hotel, also near the bus station.  We upgraded to the suite with 3 beds, a huge room.

We walked around town for a bit, going to Vic Baboo's for lunch where I had an excellent mango lassi.  I tried the local dish jollof rice, kinda like paella or dirty rice, pretty good and spicy!  We wandered down to the market, supposedly the largest in West Africa! Easy to believe, it was a chaos of tro-tros and vendors, selling toothpaste, kola nuts and everything else imaginable.

Market, Kumasi