Venice...a time for romance!

Venice Travel Blog

When Giocamo Casanova returned to Venice after 18 years of exile in the late 18th century he was a changed man:
Once the epitome of virility and machismo, Casanova had now descended into the bowels of mediocrity…at least as far as his appeal to the opposite sex was concerned.

He was well traveled and a highly educated academic and even playwright; and an apparently immensely attractive man. However, years of travel and a lifestyle of excess had taken its toll:
Casano had lost his appeal. Fortunately this loss did not rub off on his hometown Venice.

In fact, Venice’s appeal has only grown from strength to strength and sees an average of 15 million visitors a year or just over 40 000 a day! For a small city, held together by bridges and traversed by extortionists called Gondola “drivers”, this represents a considerable inflow of capital.
Joey, Alfie, Dee, JC, Zuni
One would think that this capital could be used to prevent it from sinking, but perhaps a perpetuated perception of a threat to its permanency is what drives the tourists en masse?

Our story unfolds during the evening time, as a crew night adventure has been scheduled in this place of romance:
My first passionate conquest began as we strolled down the gangway: my powerful and attractive scent had thousands of female mosquito’s hurtling in my direction, leaving multiple amorous lovebites for days to come. A short and boisterous ferry ride to St. Marko’s square and we found ourselves in the midst of those 40 000 tourists, that had all decided to arrive at the same time. So, after just been ravished by the local insects, now it was time for an intimate stroll with thousands of strangers pushing and pulling me from all angles.
Warren - no reference to the warrens of canals!

I narrowly escaped into a local restaurant, but upon exit found myself serenaded by 2 italianos playing the violin and piano. You can imagine my relief when I saw the crowds and realized that I was not their object d’amour!

Finally our night was to begin, at least this is what I thought. We opted for an enchanting canal stroll in the direction of the Orange Bar. However, we soon found ourselves chanting Italian obscenities as we kept losing our way in the warrens of canals and never ending bridges.

We finally reached our destination…1 hour later and a round of beers could thus be well justified. By some miracle the rest of the crew, who had left the ship at different times managed to find us and we enjoyed an evening of letting some hair down. Finding our way back to the ship was not as “easy” as finding our way to the night life area: I think this task could have been meliorated by using a sextant (the use of which eludes me, but the time spent learning that skill and applying it would certainly have been shorter than the walk back).
We could also have simply taken the bus, but at 3:00am after 1 or 2 alcoholic beverages, the definition of a good idea is subject to interpretation.

The next day, after morning clinic, I thought it would make good sense to see Venice by day. Some of my friends thought it was not and the others I could not wake. So I ventured back at 11 am, to experience some Italian Venetian flair by sunlight.

To be honest, it was no more (or less romantic) than at night. The popular areas are crowded and entrance to the beautifully designed Basilica had a queue of people longer than those of the scam soccer ticket outlets in South-Africa.

I headed straight for the famous Italian ice cream, which is sold at famously ridiculous prices, but even that didn’t stop me from returning…twice.
JC, Joey, Andy
I meandered down some alley ways, but not too far this time, always ensuring some tourists were nearby.

The day ended with a sail away from Venice that was simply magical, an architectural eye-feast that has to be
experienced.
As Fanny Burney put it: “Travelling is the ruin of all happiness. There is no looking at a building after seeing Italy.”
Joey, Alfie, Dee, JC, Zuni
Warren - no reference to the warre…
Warren - no reference to the warr…
Alfie & Tracey