Singapore sling

Singapore Travel Blog

pet shop
The title of today's adventure is a little misleading. I in fact did not manage to enjoy the Singapore sling. It is a drink which was invented in Singapore (perhaps the name gave this away) during a time when alcohol was forbidden to be consumed by woman i.e. the good old days. The Singaporeans (does this word exist?) decided to add a pink colour to this cocktail and thus disguise its alcoholic content.
Raffles hotel is the proud place of origination and for a measly 50$ (US) you too can be privy to the birthplace and consumption of this cocktail.

Having only 4 hours of free time in Singapore did not present me with a whole lot of options. From the harbour I walked straight into a shopping mall. Aside from local cuisine restaurants and an impressive array of electronic gadgets, the mall was not unlike any other mall in central Europe.

A visit to the petshop was a rather peculiar experience with puppies presented in a kind of glass cupboard. I suspiciously looked for nearby cooking facilities, but then realised that these Asians don't eat their pets.
I decided to make my way out of the mall. The humidity outside sent me straight back in and I decided on catching an underground train called the MRT to China Town.
The subway is an interesting design in that there is not an open platform. Access to the actual train is blocked by sliding doors, which entirely prevents people falling or jumping in front of the train or in the case of South Africa, stealing the train or the tracks.

Anyhow, I surfaced in China Town and suddenly felt I was back in an Asian country. Street vendors, food stalls, herbs, spices, unidentifiable and possibly edible items on wheelbarrows.
work 'em

Littering is illegal in Singapore and did have to search hard to find any rubbish lying on the streets.
I made my way into a mall and before you contemplate this apparent contradiction, let me tell you that this was a mall with a twist...or should I say a nibble.
I had heard of the foot spa's on offer in Asia....the ones where you put your feet in and hundreds of little fish remove the dead skin and mold your feet into perfect podiatric specimens.
Before I even had the opportunity to contemplate this endeavour an Australian lady, whos feet the fish seemed to enjoy, remarked “oh for G*d sakes, put your bloody feet in”. Not wanting to back out of an Australian challenge, I proudly presented my feet to the little critters, which looked suspiciously like pirhanas.
sailing out of singapore
It was an incredibly unusual experience at first. Seeing the fish charge your feet and anticipating a painful bite is what caused the awkward grin on the photos. However, after a few minutes my anxiety dissipated and I actually enjoyed the experience. As I said, the fish seemed to prefer the Australian's feet and perhaps there are some conclusions to be drawn from this behaviour? When she left the pond, they all made a go for me and again I started chuckling at the strangely pleasant experience.

After that I went for a traditional foot massage (as my feet were now presentably clean). However, the preparation was unnecessary, as my masseur was blind and could not see the look on my face while I writhed in pain during this Eastern torture session. I am a bit squeamish when it comes to foot massages, just ask Marlene and Chris about that, but this was definitely not to be recommended.
medical tean
One particular pressure point almost sent me flying off the chair - “no sleep, no sleep” is what the masseur muttered. I wasn't quite sure if he ment that I was suffering from lack of sleep or that I should not sleep during the massage or that he would prevent me from sleeping that night as a result of inflicted pain. The latter proved to be case.

I ended the afternoon off with a spicy lunch from a vendor for an exorbitant price of 1$ (US) and made my way back on the tram.

The botanical gardens with an apparently “best of the world” display of orchids is a stop I unfortunately could not visit. But with my feet in full splendour, the rest of the voyage should be easy going.

After the evening clinic we went up to the front of the ship to watch, as the ship sailed out of the harbour. It was a surreal and magical experience. A serene atmosphere, warm breeze, a soothing sunset, literally hundreds of boats and ships of all sizes circling to enter the port and us, on a voyage around the globe.
I certainly can get used to this.
work em