Santorini - A Herculean Day

Santorini Travel Blog

How to bake a Santorini Cake:

Take one part mythical Greek island, multiple measures of sunshine, 3 servings of exquisitely sparkling beaches, 5 dashings of quad bikes, 7 units of crazy individuals and shake them up. Now knead the blend together, sprinkle liberally with cocktails, allow one touch from King Midas and serve straight from the mixing bowel.

What you have now, is what we experienced: A bedazzlement of fun , adventure and waggish laughs.

A short, but sensational tender ride took us to the port of Santorini. The port is located at the foot of this volcanic island, which is a far way from where the action takes place, approximately 200 metres further up!

3 options to get to the top consist of a cable car, a donkey or simply one’s own two feet.
As passengers from our ship and others were queing for both the cable car and the donkeys, the choice was not that difficult, albeit one that we would come to regret.

As I heaved up this winding path I tried to avoid donkeys that were being chased down (in order to earn their food by collecting more people) while cautiously avoiding the rear end of those that were on their way up. The path was littered with donkey deposits: the combination of sweat pouring down into my eyes and the intoxicating fumes had me stumbling up in such a way that some people must have wondered if I was perhaps off to an early start in the cocktail department. At the top of the climb I cleared my eyes and nose to witness a spine-tingling view of the Aegean sea that at that point in time, was strewn with ships and boats of all shapes and sizes.
Alfie, Marcus, JC, Joey

Within 20 minutes I was on nippy yellow 4-wheeler on my way to Kamari beach to meet up with some of the other crew, that had left the ship a little earlier. Kamari is an astonishing black-sand pebble beach with crystal blue water. Needless to say, the sand was excruciatingly hot and sandals are a prerequisite. We ordered Greek salad , relaxed under umbrellas and found a picturesque diving spot on the rocks. Most of us took the 10 metre plunge into the sea, followed by a number of expletives as we sprinted back to our towels over the warm pebbles.

After that, some obligatory exploring was next on the cards. However, the girls were very much in favour of some cocktails and after a few Pina Coladas it was already time to make our way back.

I dropped my bike off first and decided to accompany the others to their bike rental shop. I rode on the back of Alfie’s bike, which turned out be not the best of ideas: Alfie, contrary to my suggestion, thought it would be a wise idea to show me his power sliding technique, which was reasonably impressive, except for the fact that the luggage carrier broke off from the back of the bike. Some South-African engineering between the two of us had the bike repaired in no time and if Andrea (whose credit card was used as a deposit for the bikes) is reading this: “It wasn’t me” :)

Back at the top of the hill we were presented with the same dilemma: Wait for ages, take a donkey or lug it. The path had accumulated more donkey bowel movements and I am grateful to say, that I did not slip and make an ass of myself (yes, I had to get that line in somewhere). An ice coffee at the bottom of the hill was well deserved!

My legs were trembling by then, which left me wondering if my fitness is perhaps my Achilles Heel. Perhaps I should stop now, before I get carried away by opening this Pandoras box of references to Greek mythology…
Alfie, Marcus, JC, Joey
Marcus, Fiona, Debbie, Andrea, Alf…
Marcus, Fiona, Debbie, Andrea, Al…
Joey, Alfie, JC